Uds-1

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TxIceDiver

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I just acquired a UDS-1. US Divers Aqualung.

It is a 3 tank system inside of a fiberglass shell. From the research that I have done these, were only made from 1974-1977. The tanks have a 1973 hyrdo date on them, which suggests that this would have been one of the 1974 models. There are 3 aluminum tanks with a 3000psi pressure rating.

I don't know if the unit works or not, the tanks are empty. I will pull them off ad do a quick visual inspection. I am trying to figure out how you would even fill them as the regulator mechanisms are built into the valve assembly. There is single hose USD second stage, a pressure gauge and a 3rd whip that look like it could go to BCD (which would have been a Horse Collar, if they used one), Is that also the fill whip?

I only paid $65 for the unit, I am also trying to figure out what it might be worth, as I have already had several people inquiring about it.

Randy

Thanks for the references, these will be helpful.

I filled it with about 400psi today to see if everything is functioning. It actually is working fairly well, no leaks that I can tell. But several of the hoses are cracked and the seals and o-rings have be rock hard and brittle.

Next week, I'll drain the air out and start tearing it down and do a visual inspection on the tanks and other parts to see what I need to replace. The tanks still have the original hydro date of 9^73 on them, so who knows the last time this rig was actually used.

Depending upon what I find, I'll decide if it is worth rebuilding an getting back into working order, or if it is just a show piece for the dive shop display. (From what I see so far, it is worth rebuilding). I'll have to send the tanks out for hydro and be very careful about any rebuilding to make sure that I can get/find parts.

The biggest problem you are going to find is that those are the old 6351 aluminum alloy tanks. During hydro they also require the eddy current testing.

The tank neck is a non-standard tank neck and as far as I know there are maybe only two probes ever made to do the eddy current testing on those tanks, but I am not sure about that. You may want to call Mark Gresham at PSI, he may be able to help you.
PSI / PCI

I know Ron Schroeder was looking into this… maybe John knows more about it.

Good luck

checked your posts on the UDS-1. I bought mine at a garage sale in ~1990 for $25.00. Last hydo 1985,,,,still has air in it but I havent done a thing with or to it. Any idea what they are worth to the right collector? Can't imagine diving with it/very cumbersome and heavy.
JRSchiller

I had no trouble getting mine hydroed by the LDS. They are in hydro, but I have a filler valve problem with them, so I haven't used them since last year.

JRSchiller, PM me if you are interested in selling them. I may be interested, but that depends upon some other ideas I have for that money.

SeaRat

Back
Top Bottom