New aqua lung mistral review

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jcarpini

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
Ok, I finally had to break down and try it . and you know what... well before I tell you I'll give you a bit of history.

I have been diving for 30 years. and I have come full circle. in the early 80s I was given a chrome plated brass relic. US Divers Calypso. I had what in my early years of diving seemed to be an old piece of junk. all of my diving friends had really cool plastic regs with neon colors. I was ashamed of my junk until.... I had my own plastic piece of crap. well to make a long story short I soon realized that my old Calypso was really a trusty friend that would never let me down, and would out last all of the modern High tech junk that I had spent alot of money on. as the years passed I found myself acquiring alot of really cool old regs that were born years before I was. and I have truly become a minimalist. my favorite way of diving is alone, no wet suit no BCD no Spg just a "J" valve on my tank and my Royal Aquamaster. and occasionally I'll dive my trusty Calypso in the same fashion so it wont feel abandoned ever again. So now That Ive become a Salty old bastard ( maybe not that old) with thousands of dives to reminisce on and many successful dives on various Double hose regs. just to be clear any successful dive is one that I return from. So... with all that being said, I wasn't very surprised when everyone poo pooed the new Mistral. My own gut reaction was that its a plastic piece of garbage and not worth wasting your money on. well maybe its worth taking a second look at. A new dive shop in town here had one on the shelf, the owner A french guy is a diver that I respect. when I asked him how that thing performed and expecting to hear the worst because of my own biased opinion and because of all the negative press that I have read, I was surprised when he told me It was very nice and in his opinion better than the relics that I dive with. time passed and the thought of that thing out performing my Royal Aquamaster festered inside me. I had to try it
so without high expectation I did a solo dive with the new Mistral. I wanted it to breath poorly, but it didnt. I wanted it to be uncomfortable, but it wasn't. I oriented my self in just about every position and I'll be Damned, it really out performed my RAM in every way, I had to have it. I traded my French friend a sweet Poseidon Cyklon and a Scubapro S600 with a mark 25 first stage for it.

Ok.. it's ugly kinda makes you look like the predator, and that short LP hose is stupid. Aqualung could have come up with a much better design. I like it, well I love it. the adjustable mouth piece is great. The hoses are perfectly weighted thanks to Frenchy. It breaths oh so nice very smooth I wonder if it came out of the box breathing well or if Frenchy tweeked it. This particular one is a carbon fiber 50th Anniversary reg.
Before all of you Vintage divers start calling me a trader you should test drive one and formulate your own opinion about it. cheers

I have used one and compared to a well tuned Royal Aqua Master, well, the New Mistral shall I say sucks. The New Mistral has several rather obvious design flaws that are fairly serious and amateurish that have been discussed at length, no point in rehashing it now.

You would do better with a Phoenix conversion on a DA, Voit Navy or a Royal Aqua Master.

N

I use one as my primary reg and absolutely love it. Ive never used any other twin hose so I cant really compare it to other twin hose regs though.

Im not really surprised it got bad reviews though since i thought it was a piece of rubbish as well when i first dived it. Its taken me 20-30 dives of fiddling with my equipment configuration and tank positioning to get it to a point where im totally happy with it, though I suspect that would have been true of any twin hose since id never dived one before. Also since apart form the case and the hoses its all just bog standard aqualung parts I have tons of spares lying around for it.

Ive since found that alot of the stuff it got slagged off for hasn't really happened for me. Ive dived it in current and it didn't blow off at all. I managed to get it to fit on my old backplate by rotating it a bit counter clockwise which also put the hoses into a more even position as well. I also can feel the venturi effect boosting my breathing when i start breathing harder on it. When im on land at the end of a dive ill often breath in from it and take it out my mouth to induce a free flow to blow out any moisture that might have gotten in, it will keep free flowing until i put my hand over the mouthpiece.

I do hate the huge re-breather hoses they used though, they are way to buoyant. I'm fashioning some hose weights from a sheet of lead so I don't have to keep adjusting the mouthpiece to cancel out the hose buoyancy. Also it is damn ugly compared to the vintage regs, though as i say to all the single hose divers that mock it "its on my back so i cant see it anyway". I would get rid of it for a PRAM given the sufficient funds, but for now its giving me experience with twin hose diving and does what I want it to do so i'm happy.

I'm fashioning some hose weights from a sheet of lead so I don't have to keep adjusting the mouthpiece to cancel out the hose buoyancy.

For hose weights, just go to McMaster Carr, a dive shop, or even Home Depot and get some brass or stainless round rings of the right dia for the hose. If you get hose weights from a LDS for rebreather hoses you will get the same thing at about a 1,000% mark up

McMaster-Carr

Last edited:
For hose weights, just go to McMaster Darr, a dive shop, or even Home Depot and get some brass or stainless round rings of the right dia for the hose. If you get hose weights from a LDS for rebreather hoses you will get the same thing at about a 1,000% mark up

McMaster-Carr

Hey thanks, i looked at rebreather hose weights but i couldn't find a uk supplier that sold over the internet. I did actually buy some stainless steel curtain rings and put them on which made a huge difference but they started to rust and also looked ridiculous :D. I was lucky enough to find two 8lbs rolls of lead in the river a while back so i figured id make use of it to fashion some rings. I made a prototype 1/2lbs ring and it looks quite professional so im gonna make a few more.
cimg2462d.jpg

I had planned on buying one but fortunately got to dive one first. I just did not like it and preferred my vintage DH regs over it. Like you said, the big hoses were a PITA and it just did not have the nice lines of an old USD or Voit DH reg.

For what I could buy one for I would much rather invest in restoring an older Mistral. That is a personal prejudice of mine and beauty is in the eye of the beholder. If you like the way your reg works I say enjoy it and dive it. But then the little suspicious voice inside of my head begins to say to me that you made this post hoping to make the reg sound great and then you are hoping I will say "Hey, if it is that great let me trade you my Voit 50 Fathom reg for your shiny new Mistral. And I will even throw in a Sportsway guage just like the one Mike Nelson wore!"

Good try!

I had planned on buying one but fortunately got to dive one first. I just did not like it and preferred my vintage DH regs over it. Like you said, the big hoses were a PITA and it just did not have the nice lines of an old USD or Voit DH reg.

For what I could buy one for I would much rather invest in restoring an older Mistral. That is a personal prejudice of mine and beauty is in the eye of the beholder. If you like the way your reg works I say enjoy it and dive it. But then the little suspicious voice inside of my head begins to say to me that you made this post hoping to make the reg sound great and then you are hoping I will say "Hey, if it is that great let me trade you my Voit 50 Fathom reg for your shiny new Mistral. And I will even throw in a Sportsway guage just like the one Mike Nelson wore!"

Good try!

Drat foiled again! Guess ill just have to keep saving :(

One thing I always say about the new mistral when my buddy's ask me if its any good is that I like it but I couldn't in good conscience suggest that someone go out and buy one. I have somewhat of a love-hate relationship with mine, I know it has design flaws and the hoses are too big and it looks stupid but I just cant go back to a single hose reg having dived a twin hose and this was my first twin hose reg so ill never part with it and it'll always have a special place in my heart. Kinda like having an ugly, less talented sibling :D

I used one once... and quickly realized why I made the transition from double to single hose regs in the 60s. I may be a vintage diver, but I like (most of) the newer equipment.

I may be a vintage diver.

We are vintage EQUIPMENT divers which does not necessarily indicate we are vintage AGE divers. Maybe scubaboard needs a board for vintage divers or maybe there is one and I just never noticed.

:wink:

N

We are vintage EQUIPMENT divers which does not necessarily indicate we are vintage AGE divers. Maybe scubaboard needs a board for vintage divers or maybe there is one and I just never noticed.

:wink:

N

There is one, "Grumpy Old Divers" sub forum

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom