Welcome to ScubaBoard, an online scuba diving forum community where you can join over 205,000 divers diving from around the world. If the topic is related to scuba diving, this is the place to find divers talking about it. To gain full access to ScubaBoard (and make this large box go away) you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Participate in over 500 dive topic forums and browse from over 5,500,000 posts.
  • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
  • Post your own photos or view from well over 100,000 user submitted images.
  • Gain access to our free classifieds marketplace to buy, sell and trade gear, travel and services.
  • Use the calendar to organize your events and enroll in other members' events.
  • Find a dive buddy or communicate directly with scuba equipment manufacturers.

All this and much more is available to you absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

NEW for 2014 Access SBlogbook for members. It allows you to directly upload data from your dive computer, validate your logs digitally, link your dives to photos, videos, dive centers (9,000 on file), fishes (14,000 on file) and much more.

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact the ScubaBoard Support Team.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: US Divers Triple 30cu/ft Tanks

Registered

Cleverly disguised as a
    grownup

Dives
    5,000 - ∞
    Photos

US Divers Triple 30cu/ft Tanks

This is a set of triple 30cu/ft tanks that US Divers stopped making in the early 1980s. They were also making a double set of 30s at that time. Dose anyone know where I can find the double set for sale? I have had no luck so far on Ebay.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Advisor

loose cannon on deck!

They aren't vintage. I REALLY wanted a set , and they were selling them new 7 years after I got certified in the PX in Rosy Roads PR. No way can you consider that vintage...really...or not :-(
    In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act. -George Orwell

Given that our biggest fear, death, is inescapable, doesn’t it seem ridiculous to let our smaller fears dictate how we live our too short lives? -Me

“It is said that power corrupts, but actually it's more true that power attracts the corruptible. The sane are usually attracted by other things than power.” -- David Brin

Registered

hasn't set a status.

Dives
    500 - 999
    Photos
    Vintage they are not, the set I have has tanks dated 4/88. You only have part of the set. You are missing a lot of hardware, including the support brackets and the housing. I'm not sure I would dive them without the lower supports, the way they are, it puts a lot of stress on the manifold. The harness is something that someone made.
    herman

www.ncdivers.com
    Oly C-5050, PT-015, Inon D180

Registered

Cleverly disguised as a
    grownup

Dives
    5,000 - ∞
    Photos
    The harness is something I made. I bought this set to use on one job as a bailout in a very confined space where a regular tank would have been too large. The only other use I have had for it was to dive surface supplied in shallow water leaving it on the surface. Not only is it missing the bands but it is very uncomfortable to wear. That is in fact why I am looking for the double 30cu/ft set. Not sure what the cut off is for how old something needs to be considered vintage but this did seem like the right place to ask. The tanks on mine are dated 4A87 but as I purchased these used I have no way of knowing if these are the original tanks.

Registered

hasn't set a status.

Dives
    500 - 999
    Photos
    Roughly vintage is considered before 72. According to a friend who is well versed on these things, he tells me that using them with the correct backpack minus the housing is comfortable.I picked up mine over christmas and have not gotten them hooked to a BH, so I do not have presonal experience with them. I also have a couple of parts missing but they are ones I can fabricate.
    You could always take 2 of the tanks, put them on a standard manifold and get a set of bands made, still a HP 80 would be easier and not much bigger.
    herman

www.ncdivers.com

is an entanglement hazard

Dives
    500 - 999
    Here's a USD manifold that would serve your purposes:

If no one reinvented the wheel we'd still be driving around on stone wheels.

My personal website: http://www.manfish.ca/
    Fraser Valley Scuba Club: http://www.fvscuba.org/
    Cultus Lake Project:Cultus Lake Project

Registered

Cleverly disguised as a
    grownup

Dives
    5,000 - ∞
    Photos
    I have seen the housings you refer to but all that was with this set is what you see in the pics minus the harness I attached. I have considered using a regular manifold but I did not think a band between the 30cu/ft tanks spread that far apart would work too well unless it was then attached to a metal back plate. The back plate will probably end up being the way to go in either case.

Registered

hasn't set a status.

Dives
    500 - 999
    Photos
    The use of 38s and 50s without a BP, just 2 bands and a harness were common back in the day. Twin 38s are one of the most wanted items by many vintage divers. I would bet a set of bands for 38s would work. Here is a link to some harnesses that are available, they have one with double bands. I will send you an email address of someone who makes custom bands in a PM, don't like to put out others email addresses here. http://www.vintagedoublehose.com/sto...index&cPath=25
    herman

www.ncdivers.com

Registered

Commercial, Military, &
    Public Safety Dive Gear Sales

Photos
    You might want to be on the lookout for a set of the AGA / Interspiro tanks; the first set of little doubles came out in the '70s but lack of HP fills (4400 psi w/ the 10%) pretty much kept them from catching on.
    The early ones were even made here in the US by PST.

Add to that, the valves are on the bottom so it's pretty easy to operate as a bailout if you're of the "on at the hat, off at the valve" persuasion, or if you just happen to be diving a Desco pot that doesn't have a "regular" sideblock.

Pic of the "new" ones:

Your friendly Viking/Poseidon Drysuit dealer.
    Si Tech Valves & DryGlove Ring Systems
    Viking DryGlove Ring Kits
    Drysuit Repair Parts & Glues, PB-300

Registered

Cleverly disguised as a
    grownup

Dives
    5,000 - ∞
    Photos
    Bob3, I was aware of the AGA system but as you pointed out finding some place to fill it would be a problem.

Herman, What was the diameter of the 38s?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast