Welcome to ScubaBoard, an online scuba diving forum community where you can join over 205,000 divers diving from around the world. If the topic is related to scuba diving, this is the place to find divers talking about it. To gain full access to ScubaBoard (and make this large box go away) you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Participate in over 500 dive topic forums and browse from over 5,500,000 posts.
  • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
  • Post your own photos or view from well over 100,000 user submitted images.
  • Gain access to our free classifieds marketplace to buy, sell and trade gear, travel and services.
  • Use the calendar to organize your events and enroll in other members' events.
  • Find a dive buddy or communicate directly with scuba equipment manufacturers.

All this and much more is available to you absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

NEW for 2014 Access SBlogbook for members. It allows you to directly upload data from your dive computer, validate your logs digitally, link your dives to photos, videos, dive centers (9,000 on file), fishes (14,000 on file) and much more.

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact the ScubaBoard Support Team.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Baby Doubles

Dives
    5,000 - ∞
    Photos
    Quote Originally Posted by Paladin View Post
    That looks like a nice little setup. Whatcha gonna do with it?
    My single 72s have ½” CGA and are a PITA to oxygen clean for Nitrox PP mixing. I figured I would set up a rig for Nitrox that also supported progressive equalization. The valve protector for wearing valve-down is in progress. I will let you know if this new experiment works worth spit. Besides, I needed a redundant supply system to keep the solo police off my six.
    mheaster likes this.

Registered

Four more years without a
    president.

Dives
    I just don't log dives
    I built my first set of doubles for no other reason that I wanted a set of doubles 'cause they look cool! I'm not into tech diving or even deep diving. I just always thought that a double hose reg perched on top of double tanks (a la Mike Nelson) was classy. However, I quickly learned that double steel 72s are heavy to haul around on land and not really practical for shallow diving (less than 80') regardless of how cool they make you look. So, I bought the AL 53s to make up a set of light little doubles so that cool meets practical. Sure, I could've had about the same amount of gas with an AL 100 but, let's face it, just how cool would that be?

As for the solo police, I've never paid them any mind. If I wanna dive solo, then I dive solo.

NAVED #142

Montani Semper Liberi

Registered

Aquanaut Extraordinaire

Dives
    1,000 - 2,499
    Photos
    Blog Entries
    Nice! That's just what I've been thinking about for a set of ID's instead of a single tank.
    "The sea, once it casts its spell, holds one in its net of forever". Jacques Cousteau
    "From birth, man carries the weight of gravity on his shoulders. He is bolted to Earth. But man has only to sink beneath the surface and he is free." Jacques Yves Cousteau
    "The best time of day to dive is after dark". AfterDark
    "You know, three-fifths of the world is covered by the sea, and how little most of us know about that underwater world. Go below with us again next week". Huh? . "For another thrilling adventure in Sea Hunt." Lloyd Bridges

Has not set a "status"

Dives
    200 - 499
    ....//.....However, I quickly learned that double steel 72s are heavy to haul around on land and not really practical for shallow diving (less than 80') regardless of how cool they make you look. ....//.....
    I go with the idea that lead on your WB could be gas on on your back. I need +10# with my 72's in a drysuit (with my best thermals). However, a 72 twinset is wicked with my Aqualung wetsuit..

Registered

Has not set a "status"

Photos
    Doesn't get much better. Set of Catalina Twin 45s with harness. Reg is at its optimum position with 90 cu ft of gas in perfectly balanced and comfortable cylinders.
    lowviz and Paladin like this.

http://vintagescubastuff.com

Has not set a "status"

Dives
    200 - 499
    Quote Originally Posted by simonbeans View Post
    Doesn't get much better. Set of Catalina Twin 45s with harness. Reg is at its optimum position with 90 cu ft of gas in perfectly balanced and comfortable cylinders.
    Gorgeous, thing of beauty.

Got any more of those old stickers?

ZKY
    Minimalist

Getting ready!!

Dives
    500 - 999
    Photos
    Since we're doing show and tell here's something I've been working on.
    An original set of 1942 and 1943 oxygen cylinders 38's or 40's?
    I sand blasted the tanks and then got them hydroed. I stripped the bands and repainted them.
    The harness is original 1" nylon and still in good enough shape to use.
    I cleaned up the manifold the best I could and replaced the burst discs with modern ones.
    When I got the set it had 800 PSI in it and the insides were pristine.
    This set came out of Dive 'n' Surf in Redondo Beach, CA. That's the Meistral Bros. (Body Glove) shop who provided all the wetsuits and gear for the Sea Hunt show.
    They're all ready to go. All I need is a fill and I'm getting them wet.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    lowviz likes this.
    - Don't always believe what you think -

www.northcoastdivers.org

Registered

Has not set a "status"

Photos
    Quote Originally Posted by lowviz View Post
    Gorgeous, thing of beauty.

Got any more of those old stickers?
    Try Here:
    Scuba Museum Online Scuba Store
    lowviz likes this.

http://vintagescubastuff.com

Has not set a "status"

Dives
    200 - 499
    Quote Originally Posted by simonbeans View Post
    My 72's are gettin' pasties.

Dives
    5,000 - ∞
    Photos
    …As for the solo police, I've never paid them any mind. If I wanna dive solo, then I dive solo.
    I got a solo card mainly to let charter boat skippers off the hook liability-wise, but part of the deal is a redundant air source. It works out OK since I like progressive equalization anyway.

I did build a set of twin LP-45s with a very narrow custom manifold if anyone is interested. They support progressive equalization but only one regulator so don’t meet the redundant air criteria: Custom Manifolds

I use these off the beach and on private boats. I built the first set for a friend who had an unusual requirement for a surface supplied bailout. I liked them so much I made a set for myself. He didn’t need the valve protector though.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast