Baby Doubles

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Paladin

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Yesterday, I was down at my LDS and picked up a pair of new Catalina AL 53s. I brought them home and strapped them together into a set of "baby" doubles (My son carried them for me 'cause I'm not in really good shape right now). They are lighter and shorter than my double steel 72s and I think they will be fun to dive with my PRAM. I don't remember if there were aluminum tanks of that size "back in the day," though.

Okay, here's a pic:

Baby Doubles.jpg

Nice Rig.

Not even remotely vintage, but I am building a set of double steel Faber LP-45s that might also be an interesting choice for a compact rig like yours. They are only 5.51" OD and 23" tall. You can buy bands and a narrower 190mm CL-CL isolation manifolds from Piranha and Northeast Scuba Supply.

Content Label - Doubles.jpg

You would probably have to make custom bands if you use a vintage manifold though. What manifold are you using?

Akimbo,
I am using a US Divers solid bar, center tap manifold I picked up NOS from military surplus. I bought three of the manifolds and am using one of the others for my double steel 72s.

The bands are vintage from the late sixties or early seventies. I found them a couple of years ago on EBay for $25. A little scrubbing with Brillo pads does wonders!:D

Nice Rig.

Not even remotely vintage, but I am building a set of double steel Faber LP-45s that might also be an interesting choice for a compact rig like yours. They are only 5.51" OD and 23" tall. You can buy bands and a narrower 190mm CL-CL isolation manifolds from Piranha and Northeast Scuba Supply[/ur

View attachment 104272

You would probably have to make custom bands if you use a vintage manifold though. What manifold are you using?

That looks like a nice little setup. Whatcha gonna do with it?

Back
Top Bottom