109 Second Stage on MK10 or MK5?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ozziworld

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
I have just acquired a 109 Adjustable/MK5 set with 2 second stages and wanted to get some opinions.

I also have a G250Graphite/MK10 set that I have been using for the last 20 years. I was considering pairing one of the 109s with the MK10 so as to end up with one set 109/MK10 and one set 109/MK5 and just keep the G250 Graphite for trips where a little weight advantage might be worth the swap.

I basically want to use the brass 109s and was thinking it might perform better with the MK10. If it performs just as well with the MK5, I guess I can just leave the G250 Graphite on the MK10.

389623_339999092739595_100001885200899_879250_578909879_n.jpg

You opinions would be highly appreciated.

Been diving MK-10/109 (or 156) all my certified years. Outstanding combination.

Tough.

Basically, I've the same problem: deciding between the 109/156BA and the G250. While the G250 breathes a bit better thanks to the Venturi assistance, the 109/156 has a much better "cool" factor. The 1st stages don't do much to the perceived performance, as long as they're balanced and properly maintained.

So my advise is: keep both your G250/MK10 and your 109/MK5 as is, and alternate between dives or between trips until you make up your mind. I've been doing this for the last few years and can't say which one I prefer. Just make sure to tune them both to the same cracking pressure, usually around 2.5 cm or 1 inch of water, so you compare apple to apple.

Note that you don't really have to decide, since you have both: just dive with whatever you fancy at the moment.

Have to agree with the others.
Since the perception of performance has all to do with the 2nd stage and there's minimal difference between the 5 and 10 I very much doubt you'll be able to tell any difference between having the 109's on the 5 or the 10.

When I dive my ID's one reg in a Mk10/R109 the other is a Mk5/109. There is no difference I can perceive. Nice score!

Last edited:
Good point. I had to check, and, to my great surprise, the definition is: "Pre-1980 "Vintage" SCUBA Gear".
So even the G250 is near-vintage.
Time flies... :depressed:

These reg are timeless. They are the standard.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom