Welcome to ScubaBoard, an online scuba diving forum community where you can join over 205,000 divers diving from around the world. If the topic is related to scuba diving, this is the place to find divers talking about it. To gain full access to ScubaBoard (and make this large box go away) you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Participate in over 500 dive topic forums and browse from over 5,500,000 posts.
  • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
  • Post your own photos or view from well over 100,000 user submitted images.
  • Gain access to our free classifieds marketplace to buy, sell and trade gear, travel and services.
  • Use the calendar to organize your events and enroll in other members' events.
  • Find a dive buddy or communicate directly with scuba equipment manufacturers.

All this and much more is available to you absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

NEW for 2014 Access SBlogbook for members. It allows you to directly upload data from your dive computer, validate your logs digitally, link your dives to photos, videos, dive centers (9,000 on file), fishes (14,000 on file) and much more.

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact the ScubaBoard Support Team.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: 109 Second Stage on MK10 or MK5?

Registered

Has not set a "status"

Dives
    I'm a Fish!

109 Second Stage on MK10 or MK5?

I have just acquired a 109 Adjustable/MK5 set with 2 second stages and wanted to get some opinions.

I also have a G250Graphite/MK10 set that I have been using for the last 20 years. I was considering pairing one of the 109s with the MK10 so as to end up with one set 109/MK10 and one set 109/MK5 and just keep the G250 Graphite for trips where a little weight advantage might be worth the swap.

I basically want to use the brass 109s and was thinking it might perform better with the MK10. If it performs just as well with the MK5, I guess I can just leave the G250 Graphite on the MK10.

You opinions would be highly appreciated.
    The more we know the less we think we know. The less we know the more we think we know.
    http://uwphotographers.blogspot.it/2...ephen-tan.html

Registered

sampling good bourbons while
    waiting for the ice to melt...

Dives
    100 - 199
    Been diving MK-10/109 (or 156) all my certified years. Outstanding combination.
    Bob

getting GOT a Kraken!!!!

Registered

Has not set a "status"

Dives
    500 - 999
    Tough.

Basically, I've the same problem: deciding between the 109/156BA and the G250. While the G250 breathes a bit better thanks to the Venturi assistance, the 109/156 has a much better "cool" factor. The 1st stages don't do much to the perceived performance, as long as they're balanced and properly maintained.

So my advise is: keep both your G250/MK10 and your 109/MK5 as is, and alternate between dives or between trips until you make up your mind. I've been doing this for the last few years and can't say which one I prefer. Just make sure to tune them both to the same cracking pressure, usually around 2.5 cm or 1 inch of water, so you compare apple to apple.

Note that you don't really have to decide, since you have both: just dive with whatever you fancy at the moment.

Registered

sampling good bourbons while
    waiting for the ice to melt...

Dives
    100 - 199
    its all about the "Cool Factor"
    Bob

getting GOT a Kraken!!!!

Registered

Has not set a "status"

Dives
    I'm a Fish!
    Photos
    Have to agree with the others.
    Since the perception of performance has all to do with the 2nd stage and there's minimal difference between the 5 and 10 I very much doubt you'll be able to tell any difference between having the 109's on the 5 or the 10.

Registered

Aquanaut Extraordinaire

Dives
    1,000 - 2,499
    Photos
    Blog Entries
    When I dive my ID's one reg in a Mk10/R109 the other is a Mk5/109. There is no difference I can perceive. Nice score!
    Last edited by AfterDark; May 28th, 2012 at 10:47 AM.
    "The sea, once it casts its spell, holds one in its net of forever". Jacques Cousteau
    "From birth, man carries the weight of gravity on his shoulders. He is bolted to Earth. But man has only to sink beneath the surface and he is free." Jacques Yves Cousteau
    "The best time of day to dive is after dark". AfterDark
    "You know, three-fifths of the world is covered by the sea, and how little most of us know about that underwater world. Go below with us again next week". Huh? . "For another thrilling adventure in Sea Hunt." Lloyd Bridges

Registered

Has not set a "status"

Dives
    200 - 499
    Is it really a vintage question ?

Registered

Has not set a "status"

Dives
    500 - 999
    Quote Originally Posted by elan View Post
    Is it really a vintage question ?
    Good point. I had to check, and, to my great surprise, the definition is: "Pre-1980 "Vintage" SCUBA Gear".
    So even the G250 is near-vintage.
    Time flies...

Registered

Aquanaut Extraordinaire

Dives
    1,000 - 2,499
    Photos
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Zung View Post
    Good point. I had to check, and, to my great surprise, the definition is: "Pre-1980 "Vintage" SCUBA Gear".
    So even the G250 is near-vintage.
    Time flies...
    These reg are timeless. They are the standard.
    "The sea, once it casts its spell, holds one in its net of forever". Jacques Cousteau
    "From birth, man carries the weight of gravity on his shoulders. He is bolted to Earth. But man has only to sink beneath the surface and he is free." Jacques Yves Cousteau
    "The best time of day to dive is after dark". AfterDark
    "You know, three-fifths of the world is covered by the sea, and how little most of us know about that underwater world. Go below with us again next week". Huh? . "For another thrilling adventure in Sea Hunt." Lloyd Bridges

Registered

Has not set a "status"

Dives
    200 - 499
    Quote Originally Posted by AfterDark View Post
    These reg are timeless. They are the standard.
    Shhhh... No need to tell everyone do not increase the demand...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast