Regulator Identification

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

NeoByzantine

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hello all,

I hope the is the appropriate place to post this question. If not, please let me know. I came across this regulator a few years ago (I was given it along with a Conshelf XIV 1st and 2nd stage both of which were in pretty decent condition). This piece had no first stage with it and has no identifying markers on it at all. I broke it down a bit and it shows some serious wear on the inside. I would love to ID it and perhaps have it rebuilt. Since it was thrown in with the Conshelf, I thought it might be an older Aqualung, perhaps SE or Aquarius. I really have no idea. Any help would be most appreciated.

Thanks, Neo Byz

photo-6.jpgphoto-7.jpgphoto-8.jpg

Its a US Divers/Aqua Lung second stage. USD used it on their Conshelf, Aquarius and Calypso regulators. From the looks of the exhaust tee, I think that one is from the late 1960s or early 1970s.

To add a little more info, all those second stages are basically the same. There are a couple of different minor design differences over the years, mainly different exhaust valve size and a different purge button label. In any case, odds are, all you need to rebuild it is the proper sizes exhaust valve and a LP seat (all the same). If you are unlucly you will need a diaphgram, all of which are the same. You can get them here Shop Online just measure the exhaust valve to get the correct size.

That is not a US Divers second stage.

The hose connection is angled back, which is different than any US Divers.
The back body is black plastic while the cover looks chrome… again, nothing that US Divers has ever made.
The exhaust T is also different shape to the US Divers.

The front chrome cover does resemble a US Divers, but that is where the similarities end.

That is a Sub-Aquatic Systems second stage. I looked in my gear room and just happen to find one just like it, in a box with other old single hose regulators, but I don’t know much about them.

It looks like many other basic downstream demand valve second stage. It probably uses a generic seat. The only problem could be if it has an odd size diaphragm or exhaust valve. But, from the outside looks, it looks like it could share the same size diaphragm as others.

That is not a US Divers second stage.

The hose connection is angled back, which is different than any US Divers.
The back body is black plastic while the cover looks chrome… again, nothing that US Divers has ever made.
The exhaust T is also different shape to the US Divers.

The front chrome cover does resemble a US Divers, but that is where the similarities end.

That is a Sub-Aquatic Systems second stage. I looked in my gear room and just happen to find one just like it, in a box with other old single hose regulators, but I don’t know much about them.

It looks like many other basic downstream demand valve second stage. It probably uses a generic seat. The only problem could be if it has an odd size diaphragm or exhaust valve. But, from the outside looks, it looks like it could share the same size diaphragm as others.

I didn't notice the angled hose fitting but I wondered about that exhaust tee. It does look more square than the USD models I've seen. And I'm ebarrassed to have to admit that I didn't notice the plastic body. That front cover looks so much like a USD reg, I guess I focused too much on it.

Thanks, everyone. Luis, you are right in your observations of the features: the back body is plastic and the exhaust T, in my brief research, didn't look like other Aqualungs I've seen. But, again, I am out of my depth here. So the good news is that as long I can find an exhaust valve and diaphragm that matches this one's measurements, I should be ok? Luis, do you have any idea how old it is? Thank you all for the help.

NeoByz

---------- Post Merged at 10:30 AM ---------- Previous Post was at 10:16 AM ----------

Paladin,
Yeah, the exhaust T is definitely quite squared-off. I did the same thing regarding the front cover; it looked so much like the USD sitting in the box with it that I assumed they were of the same family until I really started comparing them. Herman, thanks for the link. I'd heard of that site but not explored it much. Very interesting stuff. I may soon be enthralled by this vintage business.

Some pics and a drawing which might help Sub Aquatic Systems,and a Cavalero (French import be interested SUB-AQUATICS SYSTEMS.jpgCAVALERO TYPHOON MK3  IMPORT.jpgCAVALERO TYPHOON (2).jpg to learn if the drawing fits your second stage.

Hey regulator,

Thanks, it definitely looks like the first pic. I actually replied just a bit ago on a thread about Sub Aquatic Systems and asked if you could send me a file of some of the diagrams you posted. I couldn't see them well in their posted form. I left my email address on that thread. PM me if you'd like.

NeoByz

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom