Welcome to ScubaBoard, an online scuba diving forum community where you can join over 205,000 divers diving from around the world. If the topic is related to scuba diving, this is the place to find divers talking about it. To gain full access to ScubaBoard (and make this large box go away) you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Participate in over 500 dive topic forums and browse from over 5,500,000 posts.
  • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
  • Post your own photos or view from well over 100,000 user submitted images.
  • Gain access to our free classifieds marketplace to buy, sell and trade gear, travel and services.
  • Use the calendar to organize your events and enroll in other members' events.
  • Find a dive buddy or communicate directly with scuba equipment manufacturers.

All this and much more is available to you absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

NEW for 2014 Access SBlogbook for members. It allows you to directly upload data from your dive computer, validate your logs digitally, link your dives to photos, videos, dive centers (9,000 on file), fishes (14,000 on file) and much more.

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact the ScubaBoard Support Team.

Thread: Regulator Identification

Registered

Teaching Aristotle.

Dives
    100 - 199

Regulator Identification

Hello all,

I hope the is the appropriate place to post this question. If not, please let me know. I came across this regulator a few years ago (I was given it along with a Conshelf XIV 1st and 2nd stage both of which were in pretty decent condition). This piece had no first stage with it and has no identifying markers on it at all. I broke it down a bit and it shows some serious wear on the inside. I would love to ID it and perhaps have it rebuilt. Since it was thrown in with the Conshelf, I thought it might be an older Aqualung, perhaps SE or Aquarius. I really have no idea. Any help would be most appreciated.

Thanks, Neo Byz

photo-6.jpgphoto-7.jpgphoto-8.jpg

Registered

Four more years without a
    president.

Dives
    I just don't log dives
    Its a US Divers/Aqua Lung second stage. USD used it on their Conshelf, Aquarius and Calypso regulators. From the looks of the exhaust tee, I think that one is from the late 1960s or early 1970s.

NAVED #142

Montani Semper Liberi

Registered

hasn't set a status.

Dives
    500 - 999
    Photos
    To add a little more info, all those second stages are basically the same. There are a couple of different minor design differences over the years, mainly different exhaust valve size and a different purge button label. In any case, odds are, all you need to rebuild it is the proper sizes exhaust valve and a LP seat (all the same). If you are unlucly you will need a diaphgram, all of which are the same. You can get them here Shop Online just measure the exhaust valve to get the correct size.
    herman

www.ncdivers.com
    Oly C-5050, PT-015, Inon D180

Defender!

Has not set a "status"

Dives
    I'm a Fish!
    That is not a US Divers second stage.

The hose connection is angled back, which is different than any US Divers.
    The back body is black plastic while the cover looks chrome… again, nothing that US Divers has ever made.
    The exhaust T is also different shape to the US Divers.

The front chrome cover does resemble a US Divers, but that is where the similarities end.

That is a Sub-Aquatic Systems second stage. I looked in my gear room and just happen to find one just like it, in a box with other old single hose regulators, but I don’t know much about them.

It looks like many other basic downstream demand valve second stage. It probably uses a generic seat. The only problem could be if it has an odd size diaphragm or exhaust valve. But, from the outside looks, it looks like it could share the same size diaphragm as others.
    Luis

Buceador con escafandra autónoma clásica.

Registered

Four more years without a
    president.

Dives
    I just don't log dives
    Quote Originally Posted by Luis H View Post
    That is not a US Divers second stage.

The hose connection is angled back, which is different than any US Divers.
    The back body is black plastic while the cover looks chrome… again, nothing that US Divers has ever made.
    The exhaust T is also different shape to the US Divers.

The front chrome cover does resemble a US Divers, but that is where the similarities end.

That is a Sub-Aquatic Systems second stage. I looked in my gear room and just happen to find one just like it, in a box with other old single hose regulators, but I don’t know much about them.

It looks like many other basic downstream demand valve second stage. It probably uses a generic seat. The only problem could be if it has an odd size diaphragm or exhaust valve. But, from the outside looks, it looks like it could share the same size diaphragm as others.
    I didn't notice the angled hose fitting but I wondered about that exhaust tee. It does look more square than the USD models I've seen. And I'm ebarrassed to have to admit that I didn't notice the plastic body. That front cover looks so much like a USD reg, I guess I focused too much on it.

NAVED #142

Montani Semper Liberi

Registered

Teaching Aristotle.

Dives
    100 - 199
    Thanks, everyone. Luis, you are right in your observations of the features: the back body is plastic and the exhaust T, in my brief research, didn't look like other Aqualungs I've seen. But, again, I am out of my depth here. So the good news is that as long I can find an exhaust valve and diaphragm that matches this one's measurements, I should be ok? Luis, do you have any idea how old it is? Thank you all for the help.

NeoByz

---------- Post Merged at 10:30 AM ---------- Previous Post was at 10:16 AM ----------

Paladin,
    Yeah, the exhaust T is definitely quite squared-off. I did the same thing regarding the front cover; it looked so much like the USD sitting in the box with it that I assumed they were of the same family until I really started comparing them. Herman, thanks for the link. I'd heard of that site but not explored it much. Very interesting stuff. I may soon be enthralled by this vintage business.

Registered

Has not set a "status"

Dives
    2,500 - 4,999
    Some pics and a drawing which might help Sub Aquatic Systems,and a Cavalero (French import be interested SUB-AQUATICS SYSTEMS.jpgCAVALERO TYPHOON MK3 IMPORT.jpgCAVALERO TYPHOON (2).jpg to learn if the drawing fits your second stage.

Registered

Teaching Aristotle.

Dives
    100 - 199
    Hey regulator,

Thanks, it definitely looks like the first pic. I actually replied just a bit ago on a thread about Sub Aquatic Systems and asked if you could send me a file of some of the diagrams you posted. I couldn't see them well in their posted form. I left my email address on that thread. PM me if you'd like.

NeoByz