Project Argonaut, totally new, vintage style DH regulator

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Luis H

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
Subject: Project Argonaut
Totally new, vintage style double hose regulator.

Note: NO Aqua Master or Royal Aqua Master were harmed, sacrificed, or cannibalized for this project… Ok, the cans are temporarily on loan, but most parts are either new or they will be new.

Cracking effort: can be easily adjusted to as low as 0.3 inWC, but it is not recommended to be adjusted to less than 0.5 inWC.

Venturi flow: adjustable.

Maximum flow rate: more than you will ever need, even with a second diver using an octopus.

Operational temperature: It is an environmentally isolated double hose like the Aqua Master and RAM. I live in Maine. Ice diving will not be an issue, well, at least not for the regulator. Last year we didn’t have any good ice.

First stage: Balanced diaphragm, similar to Phoenix, but with improved air passages to diaphragm and second stage for improved IP response.

Second stage: highly adjustable, HPR type with improved volcano orifice.

This is a totally new regulator based on the cumulative experience of the RAM, the Phoenix RAM and the HPR second stage. It uses many standard components, but it incorporates many improvements, including an improved second stage (based on the HPR).

The main body also features improved air passages, optimized 3 LP ports and modern HP port.

It is very hard to improve on the breathing performance of a well tuned Phoenix HPR with the new diaphragm. Mechanically it is almost impossible, but the performance due to the regulator position is always user dependent.

Some of the improvements of the Argonaut:
• Ease of service
• Unitized construction with no gaskets between first and second stage
• Body is easy to hold, on any vise or with Crescent type wrench.
• Replaceable first and second stage volcano orifices
• Better port orientation
• Lighter weight
• More compact
• No need to cannibalize any vintage regulator for parts.
• Backwards and forward compatibility with parts of the most common vintage regulators. It can be customized with some vintage parts.

Recent diving in Cozumel with the Argonaut prototypes:

diveatCozumelwithArgonaut2.jpg

Note: I did not set the dive computer to local time. Therefore the times shown are two hours later than local.

• There were several Argonauts in the Cozumel trip.
• The maximum dive depth was around 150 ft (some went to 155 ft).
• The sum of the dive time was about 25 hours of diving on each regulator.
• One of the dives involved some very heavy current when crossing an underwater canyon. We were all probably breathing like Hoovers at that point. Regulator performance was never in question… It was outstanding.
• All regulators performed flawlessly in all dives.

For more information go to:
Vintage Double Hose • View topic - Strange Regulators sighted off Cozumel coast.....

Picture010-3-1.jpg

New Argonauts being used in Cozumel.

Cozumel.jpg

AMBA0088.jpg

For more picture and write-ups of our recent Cozumel trip you can go to:
Vintage Double Hose • View topic - vintage divers in Cozumel

Thanks

Luis,

I feel honored to have been one of the test dummies, er pilots for this exciting new regulator. I'll be able to tell sea stories to my kids and grand kids about being one of the first to dive this jewel. I can verify we certainly put it through heavy paces and it breathed like a dream regardless of the tax we placed on it.

Well done Luis!

Couv

Are you using RAM cans or are you making new cans for the reg? Also, are you going to commercial sales and what do you project the ultimate price to be?

And when (if at all) should we be able to buy one, should they go commercial?

Will, last I heard the reg will come complete, not as parts like the Phoenix. The cans will be a new production and style but it is backwards compatible, the new body can be used in old cans if you prefer as you can see in Luis's photos.

Something everyone should keep in mind is this will still be a double hose reg with all the odd characteristics that go with them. While the cracking pressure and WOB will be on par (or better) with most modern regs, some of the characteristics that are unique to a double hose like the requirement to properly place it and the use of a proper back pack/harness will still apply, there is no getting around the physics. This reg, like any DH reg will require the diver to be more selective with the tank holder he chooses and to wear it properly, otherwise they will not be happy with the performance of the reg. Sticking it on your old jacket style or BP/wing and diving is not going to work if you want the reg to perform it’s best. On the other hand, those so us who understand DH regs and dive them often are going to really like the reg. Time for me to start putting new reg money aside. :)

I thought I was clear when I said:

“Note: NO Aqua Master or Royal Aqua Master were harmed, sacrificed, or cannibalized for this project… Ok, the cans are temporarily on loan, but most parts are either new or they will be new.”

Or
“This is a totally new regulator”

Or
“• No need to cannibalize any vintage regulator for parts.”

For production, all the parts will be new including the cans. But, if you are so inclined to customize your regulator, you could swap cans, although it will not be necessary.

BTW, as always, I am not building anything. It will be Bryan at VDH. I just did the design and I am giving it to VDH (this is a hobby for me). In exchange, for supporting VDH, I have been able to obtain parts (hoses, diaphragms, seats, metal replacement parts, etc.), that have not been available for over 30 years. :D

I expect that the price is going to be very reasonable, as most of his regulator sales are, but the financial start –up is never easy.

I am not sure about how soon they will be available either, but looking at the fast schedule we have been keeping, I would say that it may not be long. All the technical aspects of the design are in very good shape.

---------- Post added November 26th, 2012 at 07:24 AM ----------

Thanks Herman,
I didn't see your post.

Looks like a great regulator! Sorry I missed you guys in Cozumel, I'll be back there in February and diving my RAM with Phoenix HPR all week.

Will you guys being using the plastic FX 50 Cans or new metal cans? Can't wait to get my hands on one of these regs.

Luis-Are you attending Fred's show or Boston Sea Rovers this year?

Been doing a lot of deeper stuff lately so I haven't dove in DH in a while but did manage two very nice shore dives with my Mistral this weekend. Viz in New England has been crap lately with the hurricane and the small Nor'easter.

Something everyone should keep in mind is this will still be a double hose reg with all the odd characteristics that go with them. While the cracking pressure and WOB will be on par (or better) with most modern regs, some of the characteristics that are unique to a double hose like the requirement to properly place it and the use of a proper back pack/harness will still apply, there is no getting around the physics. This reg, like any DH reg will require the diver to be more selective with the tank holder he chooses and to wear it properly, otherwise they will not be happy with the performance of the reg. Sticking it on your old jacket style or BP/wing and diving is not going to work if you want the reg to perform it’s best. On the other hand, those so us who understand DH regs and dive them often are going to really like the reg. Time for me to start putting new reg money aside. :)

Yep, just as Herman said, you have to find a way to mount tank low enough to appreciate the performance.

(Note: The pictures below do not show the cans that will come with the unit.) The first pic shows the reg attached to an Al 80 with Luis' flat backplate. The next pic shows the reg mounted to an Al 80 with my Freedom Plate and Qxycheq wing. I had the upper cam band all the way up to the tank shoulder; I should/could have lowered the wing for a better fit, but as I don't usually need to inflate it in warm water I never even noticed it.

JesusandLuis.jpg

Moderndoublehoseregulator.jpg

Thanks Couv,
I like those pictures

Looks like a great regulator! Sorry I missed you guys in Cozumel, I'll be back there in February and diving my RAM with Phoenix HPR all week.

Will you guys being using the plastic FX 50 Cans or new metal cans? Can't wait to get my hands on one of these regs.

Luis-Are you attending Fred's show or Boston Sea Rovers this year?

Been doing a lot of deeper stuff lately so I haven't dove in DH in a while but did manage two very nice shore dives with my Mistral this weekend. Viz in New England has been crap lately with the hurricane and the small Nor'easter.

The plan is for totally new cans. They will be plastic, but totally new.

I am planning on going to both Boston Sea Rovers and Fred’s show.

Why would you not use your Phoenix HPR for deep diving? That is my regulator of choice as my primary for all deep and decompression dives.

I do use Conshelf first stages with Scubapro 109 second stages for deco bottles and for my alternate post on my doubles, but My Phoenix HPR is always my primary.

Don’t get me wrong, I do realize that modern plastic regulators are very reliable, but they certainly have many more failure points than a Phoenix RAM.

Take a look at this thread:
http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/vi...atest-technical-diving-regulator-phoenix.html

I saw this in Cozumel, it is an amazing piece of engineering work. More compact than a Phoenix equipped regulator with improved or at least predetermined hose routings most will find to be perfect. I doubt there is any performance increase over a Phoenix HPR RAM with the new Gen III diaphragms and other mods, in fact, per Luis, there should not be any real difference.

The main improvements (visible) with the new Argonaut is the integrated, low profile body and fixed hose placement, there are other things as Luis has elaborated but those are the things that caught my eye immediately. And, of course, no need to scavenge vintage regulators and old stock parts to build a regulator. This will be a very practical regulator to dive with and it is going to be really pretty too, :). Fully modern but with vintage spirit.

N

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom