Can you identify this first stage?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sixof1or2

Registered
Reaction score
IMG_44292.jpg

I purchased this scubapro regulator back in 1975, I have not seen this first stage anywhere on
scubapro's website or on this forum. Does anyone have a idea what type/model it is?

It's a MK 6. Same regulator as a MK 5 except it has a pneumatic yoke.

Question for the OP, did you purchase it new? If so did it have the same turret on it or did you have it upgraded from a 2 l/p port to a 5?

Sure I do...1974
A SCUBA Pro Mark VI with self locking yoke;
Cat # 106 SCUBA Pro Regulator Mark VI $118.25
Cat # 109 SCUBA Pro adjustable Second stage $51.40

Also
Pneumatic attachment
Cat # 133 Pneumatic pressure gauge $20.00
Cat # 133-2 Pneumatic filler attachment $16.00

Life time Parts for the original owner

Now you can list it on E bay ..

SDM

Hi Sam,

Were there any MK VI regulators that came with a turret with more than 2 l/p ports?

Cheers,

Couv

Bought it new, as is.

---------- Post added May 8th, 2013 at 10:25 PM ----------

That pneumatic yoke, is it reliable? Why isn't it used anymore?
and can it be used on higher pressures like 3000?

Bought it new, as is.
OK, I leaned something today. Threads like these cause me to really miss the SP Museum web site.

---------- Post added May 8th, 2013 at 10:25 PM ----------

That pneumatic yoke, is it reliable? Why isn't it used anymore?

I worked in a dive shop in the 80ies, and we had a couple MK VI regs in the rental/student fleet. I remember it being used in pool classes, but no one seemed to trust it for open water. Reliable? I do not ever remember seeing anyone have any problems with it after it was seated. But again, I don't have any results to go on from real dive experiences. How many dives have you made with your MK VI? Have you had any issues with it?

The pneumatic yoke seemed like a good idea, but it turned out to be more difficult to properly seat than a common screw on yoke.

..and can it be used on higher pressures like 3000?

I converted my MK VI to tank pressure check/tire fill duty. I've had it on my 3442 tank with no problems other than having to readjust the yoke to fit over a larger valve.....sort of defeats the purpose of having a pneumatic self seating yoke.

That is very interesting. If you bought it new like that it might have being an early introduction, maybe only offered in your area. Did you live in California back then?

The catalog copies that we have show the Mk-6 with the 2 port swivel from 1970 to 1973. I do not have copies of the 1974 or 1975 catalogs.

In the 1976 catalog the Mk-6 has disappeared and they were still only offering the 2 port swivel.

The multi-port swivel didn’t show up until the 1978 catalog. The early multiport swivel did not have the port at the end as the one in your regulator.

As far as I can tell (from the catalogs) that multi-port swivel with the port at the end did not show up until 1981, which is about 6 to 8 years after the Mk-6 was discontinued. Again, this is only catalog information. Some stuff has been offered that might have not shown on the catalogs.

Copies of the catalogs I am referring about are available for download from VintageDoubleHose.com.

Scubapro quit supporting the Mk-6 shortly after discontinuing it. I don’t know for sure, but I believe there were some issues with it. One for sure is that if the tank pressure is very low, the regulator is not very secured,

I have been a professional dive accident witness since the very early1960s. At that time I was the only witness to defend the then unknown 5 year old divers flag in Toso vs Burns litigation, which established the rights and privileges of a diver in the water flying the red & white divers flag.
For a period of over ten years in the late 1970s to the early 1980s I was associated with and represented by Impact General , a company created specifically to provide experience and expertise to the legal profession. One interesting case which I was assigned was Fienberg vs US Divers, SCUBA Pro, et al.
The victim, Dr. Fienberg, purchased a US Divers floatation device (vest) under the table or out the back door from the GM of US Divers with out it ever being subject to final US Divers quality control check.
He also purchased a used SCUBA Pro Mark VI which he had it over hauled at a local dive shop.
He and his daughter traveled to the Dive Park on Catalina Island for a day of diving. All went well until the began their assents, the daughter ascended with out problems but the Doctor became entangled just a few feet under the surface in the kelp canopy which lies like a blanket on the water.
As I reconstructed his last moments;
He began attempting to free himself but the more he struggled the more he became entangled. He activated the CO2 which failed to inflate the vest, while continuing to attempting to free himself all the time breathing from his regulator. With out warning the regulator detached it's self from the tank. No floatation, out of air and weight belt still in place he took his last breath about 5 feet from the surface wrapped in a blanket of kelp, where he was recovered by the local life guards.
The judgment was $250,000.00
Scuba pro totally discontinued the Mark VI and probably US Divers GM never sold a piece of diving equipment out the back door.
S

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom