Old Dive Patches

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

flfishhead

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
Acquired these in early-mid '70's. Thought I'd share them. (If anyone recognizes any of these, drop me a line.)

Attachments

• DESERT DIVERS.jpg
    DESERT DIVERS.jpg
    40 KB · Views: 159
  • HURLBURT DIVE.jpg
    HURLBURT DIVE.jpg
    43.9 KB · Views: 146
  • LA CNTY ADV DIVER.jpg
    LA CNTY ADV DIVER.jpg
    34.2 KB · Views: 152
  • DIVER CERTS.jpg
    DIVER CERTS.jpg
    34.4 KB · Views: 165
Nice patches. I collect older dive club patches. I try to get one's from the 50's and 60's . I do have some from the 70's also. I haven't seen any of thoses. I tried looking them up. There is a airforce base in Fl named Hurlburt field. Could be an airforce dive club? There is an Antelope valley in Northern La. I looked in the list of dive club in Fl and Ca in the Jan 63 Skin Diver mag. I didn't see them listed.

The Hurlburt patch was from the Hurlburt base (part of Eglin AFB in NW Florida) dive club. The Desert Divers patch was from the dive club of Lancaster, CA, near Edwards AFB west of LA. Got the LA County Advanced Divers patch in mid '70's. Very good course that covered just about all phases of Scuba diving. Don't know if they still offer that course or not.

.... Got the LA County Advanced Divers patch in mid '70's. Very good course that covered just about all phases of Scuba diving. Don't know if they still offer that course or not.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The LA Co ADP is currently in progress. Go to the So Cal section. There is a gentleman currently enrolled in the ADP and doing a periodic report of the activities. It was and is and always will be the best ADP in the world.

In the 1970s I was the graduation speaker at two of the ADPs, can't recall the dates but the subjects were "Tradition" and "LA Co; It began here." ( and indeed it did - Almost every thing in diving today can be traced back to LA Cos traditions where it began.

How did you end up in the Florida pan handle?

SDM

I took the LA Cnty ADP course in summer/fall "75. Still have my cert card . Our group Dive Master was a gentleman named Samuels. Ring any bells? (Thanks for responding)

Jim Samuels...Was a top secret engineer working in Kelly's Lockheed Skunk Works...One of the best LA Co SCUBA instructors. In those days we took only the very best and Jim was one of them..Now any darn fool with $$$$$ to burn can be a super duper instructor...If you don't believe me just stick around for the responses

Jim has been retired for many years - no contact for about 10 years

Did you check out the tread on the SoCal section and the gentleman who is reporting on the current ADP? I suspect he would appreciate some encouragement

SDM

Wow! Had no idea about Mr Samuels' background. Very impressive. (Wish I had known. At the time, I was actually working a project at Edwards AFB. Would have been great to talk airplanes with him.) I remember it being a very intensive course, but well worth the time and effort. Also, lots of good memories. I would recommend it to any diver who might have the time and opportunity to take it. No, haven't yet checked out the thread you recommend, but will do so right now. Good talking with you.

Jim would never discuss his involvement at the "Lockheed Skunk" works. He generally stated he worked as an Aerospace engineer at Lockheed.

It was many years later around a campfire that he told me about his involvement in all the top secret projects.

SDM

For some reason the NAUI patch is sitting on my desk, I think it may have fallen out of an old logbook that I had out the other week.

Back
Top Bottom