How many people love Vintage Equipment Diving ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

trapezus

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
I wonder ,how many people love Vintage Equipment Diving ? and How many collectors live whole world not just in USA ?
We are 4 collectors in my country and trying to incrase divers..
as far as I know too fond of this diving in Europe.. USA is another World.. there you can come together and know each other easy..
what can be done for other countries than USA ,We want to replicate the number of countries and mutual tours please write your ideas ..

I do not think we LOVE vintage diving but we ENJOY vintage diving.

The world of self contained diving using the Cousteau-Gagnon equipment was introduced to the US in 1948. So it is a relatively new activity.

The US is a huge country and the majority who post here have probably only met via this board.

Many travel to Portage Quarry in Ohio for an annual gathering of vintage divers an meet and exchange ideas and trade equipment. Might want to establish an annual gathering in Turkey-- Or travel to Germany for their annual gathering.

Good luck,

SDM

Mr.Miller ,passion is most right mean for me I spent 41 years ..Ohio and Florida are so far from our world and I know they donn't like foreigners :)

We did it last summer in a small island (Sivri Ada) İstanbul.It is a beginning..

Next summer we are planning second meeting in KAS (Mediterrannian) very clear water and paradise.. Kas and Kalkan as if it were British towns.. There are many foreigners have taken home built ..come and be my guest..

Enjoy vintage diving stuff as well and I'm not the only one in France. Whish I had a heavy diving rig...

I dive .... a Kirby Morgan KMB8.5 last made in 1969.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~'
I have a KM ZB 8 & an 8.5.
I am surprised that you can contact the company in Santa Maria, California and they have records of the years the KM was produced.
I plan on selling mine some day...

SDM

I dive Scubapro MK3, MK5, R108HP, R109, a steel 72 cu/ft tank made in 1959 and a Kirby Morgan KMB8.5 last made in 1969.

I am glad you dive these equipments..some people talking for hours or to write some of the paints but never dive or dive to 10-15 feet into a lake or beach.. I have total 23 doublehose and 21 single hose vintage regulators ..all ready to dive and I dive them..
nice to watch on the shelf but have not used them, then there is no point ..
sometimes watched an old movie and I dive same equipments ...it is amazing joy ..

I enjoy vintage too, but just the snorkelling variety; I don't scuba-dive. I live in the UK and snorkel in the North Sea.

There's room for us all in the vintage underwater world and we don't have embrace to every single aspect to pursue our favourite activity, whether it's a pastime or a passion. I can't contribute much when the conversation turns to regulators (or "demand valves" in 1950s/1960s British parlance), but I'm happy researching fins, masks, snorkels and suits, even sometimes encouraging vintage regulator collectors to consider displaying their countries' historical non-scuba basic underwater swimming gear alongside their prized scuba possessions.

I'm as keen as anybody else on using my vintage gear when snorkelling off the North East English coast, but that doesn't mean I don't relish too exploring and recording examples of subaquatic artefacts from the 1950s, 1960s and 1970s, before the advent of plastic and silicone. I also think that there's plenty of mileage in encouraging modern manufacturers who stick with classic designs. I admire, for example, the way that the Istanbul manufacturer Adalılar Kauçuk continues to make traditional rubber fins, including the world's only full-foot fin with a heel strap, a common design in its time:
3b.jpg
The fin on the right is the latest reincarnation of the Mares Concorde from the 1970s. More fins by the same Turkish manufacturer on their site: http://www.adalilarkaucuk.com/

I would also like to see the full text (not just the covers) of early issues of national diving magazines being digitised and posted online so that we can all read about the early days of skin and scuba diving in our own languages (not just English!). I would love to browse through the advertisements in the 1950s UK BSAC magazine "Triton" and in its French and German equivalents.

As I say, plenty of work to be done in the vintage field, both in and out of the water!

Hi vintage divers!

We are a group of 35 vintage divers in Germany organized in the Historical Diving Society. Every year in June we have a international meeting. More than 50 collectors from 10 different countries attended last time. I will be happy to send more information upon request.

: )
Duomat

Last edited:
I enjoy vintage too, but just the snorkelling variety; I don't scuba-dive. I live in the UK and snorkel in the North Sea.

There's room for us all in the vintage underwater world and we don't have embrace to every single aspect to pursue our favourite activity, whether it's a pastime or a passion. I can't contribute much when the conversation turns to regulators (or "demand valves" in 1950s/1960s British parlance), but I'm happy researching fins, masks, snorkels and suits, even sometimes encouraging vintage regulator collectors to consider displaying their countries' historical non-scuba basic underwater swimming gear alongside their prized scuba possessions.

I'm as keen as anybody else on using my vintage gear when snorkelling off the North East English coast, but that doesn't mean I don't relish too exploring and recording examples of subaquatic artefacts from the 1950s, 1960s and 1970s, before the advent of plastic and silicone. I also think that there's plenty of mileage in encouraging modern manufacturers who stick with classic designs. I admire, for example, the way that the Istanbul manufacturer Adalılar Kauçuk continues to make traditional rubber fins, including the world's only full-foot fin with a heel strap, a common design in its time:
View attachment 170777
The fin on the right is the latest reincarnation of the Mares Concorde from the 1970s. More fins by the same Turkish manufacturer on their site: Adalýlar Kauçuk ve Plastik Ürünleri Ýmalatý San. ve Tic. Ltd. Þti.

I would also like to see the full text (not just the covers) of early issues of national diving magazines being digitised and posted online so that we can all read about the early days of skin and scuba diving in our own languages (not just English!). I would love to browse through the advertisements in the 1950s UK BSAC magazine "Triton" and in its French and German equivalents.

As I say, plenty of work to be done in the vintage field, both in and out of the water!

Skin or Scuba does not matter significant interest in the vintage equipment .. http://www.adalilarkaucuk.com/ is going to continue production..
Jet Fin model 30 dollars.. Concorde signed Italian World champion Massimo Scarpatti is very famous at 70th years ..
You are not so lucky for sea because I dived North Sea too at Murmansk summer time.. Thanks again for your interest..

---------- Post added November 13th, 2013 at 10:58 AM ----------

David Wilson says: As I say, plenty of work to be done in the vintage field, both in and out of the water!

objectives, purpose, whatever should be the main effort .. Somehow we have known each other for a group of experts .. no need more people ! after our joys brooken..even those who wanted to go to the country to discourage ..
VDH is an American club ! not even a member of the membership, we'll assign foreigners not get ! maybe they are better than us diver .. than us more vintage eqiuipment they have.. if they are not of us have no place here !
Those who think like that because of .. it does not increase the number of those who are committed to this enjoy ..
I am writing from a country far away as the person who first started this job like it or not

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom