Bend-O-Matic

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Bob DBF

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
I just picked up a couple of the aforementioned dive computers and wondered if there is a nondestructive method of disassembling the unit. I just am interested in removing some crap between the face and glass for cosmetic reasons.

Thanks

Bob

I did disassemble a non working one years ago out of curiosity as to what was inside but I can remember how I went about it.

Define non-destructive. Do you want to keep it diveable or just displayable? If the rubber bezel ring is still in good shape you should be able to remove it from the stainless or plastic housing with your fingers. The bezel “should” pull back far enough to unscrew the clear plastic lens with a pin spanner. You might have to drop it in an ultrasonic cleaner if dried salt is jamming the threads. The tricky part is holding onto the body without damaging the bag.

From what I have read, that will render it inoperable, which it probably is by now anyway. Whatever is on the inside of the lens is probably debris from something deteriorating inside.

Define non-destructive.

Non-destructive as in not making one piece into several. I have a sawzall and I know how to use it, but it is hard to put things back together in a cosmetically pleasing manor afterword.

I just want to clean it up for display or trade rather than restore. I managed to acquire two of them, one of which is in the original travel case. Also got a number of other old items in the same lot, but that is for another thread.

Thanks for the help, I'll let you know what happens and pictures will follow.

Bob
---------------------------------
Occasionally gets lucky.

Didn't the Bend-O-Matic use "Element X" in them?

I sort of remember them advertising that fact or maybe my memory is playing tricks again.

Didn't the Bend-O-Matic use "Element X" in them?

I sort of remember them advertising that fact or maybe my memory is playing tricks again.

Element X looked kind of like one of those aquarium air diffusion stones only finer. The gas(?) in the bag was forced through element X and that caused the gauge to rise. The deeper you were the faster the gas was forced through the element. A rather simple device.

img968.jpgimg969.jpg Found some more information via an article showing the internals with brief dismantling instructions which might help
.SOS DECO  1.jpgSOS DECO.jpg

Attachments

• img965.jpg
    img965.jpg
    122.3 KB · Views: 281
  • img970.jpg
    img970.jpg
    146.3 KB · Views: 274
Yes. The problem I ran into was unscrewing the cover from the body. I don't want to use any more force than I have, so I'm looking for other methods to loosen the cover for removal. Of course I moved on to other projects while thinking.

Thanks

Bob
-------------------------------------
I swear its not hoarding dear, I'm just keeping an adequate stock of equipment and parts. It's life support, you know.

A bit OT but I have a customer who brought me his in to show me.

It has never been dived and is still in its original box with instruction manual.

Any guesses as to what it might be worth?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom