Vintage Collection

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Avonthediver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
Hello all I posted a bit ago about how I am getting into the whole vintage diving thing and I posted a few pics from my find. Well since then I have taken a few better photos of my Healthways double hose reg and some new gear I have managed to get a hold of, so I'm pretty stoked! But on the down side I contacted Bryan with Vintage double hose and found that no one does service on Healthways for some reason. The horse collers are in great shape and still like new un-used CO2 cartridge's, and the Aqualung regs are also in great shape.

Attachments

• IMAG0944.jpg
    IMAG0944.jpg
    34.8 KB · Views: 448
  • IMAG0945.jpg
    IMAG0945.jpg
    21 KB · Views: 413
  • IMAG0946.jpg
    IMAG0946.jpg
    68.8 KB · Views: 323
  • IMAG0949.jpg
    IMAG0949.jpg
    38.8 KB · Views: 379
  • IMAG0950.jpg
    IMAG0950.jpg
    72 KB · Views: 385
  • IMAG0951.jpg
    IMAG0951.jpg
    42.5 KB · Views: 398
  • IMAG0952.jpg
    IMAG0952.jpg
    33.9 KB · Views: 368
  • IMAG0955.jpg
    IMAG0955.jpg
    32.7 KB · Views: 372
  • IMAG0957.jpg
    IMAG0957.jpg
    23.2 KB · Views: 307
  • IMAG0942.jpg
    IMAG0942.jpg
    28.1 KB · Views: 395
Healthways made 3 models of double hose regulators. Yours is the 1st model, marketed from 1957-1960. It had a unique exhaust valve system, probably the result to circumvent USD (Cousteau-Gagnan) patent. You should get Roberts' book, Basic Scuba which will describe and provide schematics for the regulator. Thescubamuseum.com has diaphragms for it and might have a new seat. They are not too complicated.
However, the exhaust is a real crazy critter. Good luck getting that to work. You might keep your eyes looking for the other 2 models, the SCUBA DELUXE, and a gold Label SCUBA. Your hoses/mouthpiece are from a later USD double hose.
Good luck on your vintage diving pursuits. You will enjoy the adventure.

HealthwaysScubaDeluxe2_zpsb0869104.jpg

HealthwaysGoldlabel2_zpscd27813a.jpg

The black PFV appears a model that Nic Icorn developed while he was a draftsman at US Divers.

To inflate is it necessary to grasp the hose with your teeth and pull up? If so there can be a huge problem.

All that fresh equipment always appears like new..no salt water corrosion. Good find!

Your "About me" you state you received your certification from a cracker jack box. That is a huge insult to the Instructor and the Agency. It is suggested that you change it.

SDM

Nice gear Avon. I too have the first SCUBA DH by Healthways. The parts can be found and I had fun rebuilding mine adding new hoses and non-return valves. I was lucky to find one with the Hope Page mouthpiece. I agree with SB in that they are easy enough to service. Have you applied pressure to it, or opened it up yet? If the DB is no good you can get a long one from VDH and try that. The Museum is a good resource too. Maybe you diaphragm can be made usable with a silicone grease treatment? Good luck and welcome to the addiction.

Don

Guys, reguardless of what some may tell you, the SCUBA is not a reg you want to restore for diving, at least not at first. It has several rubber parts that are impossible to find, most of the time they are not in servicable condition and without them the reg is dangerous to dive. Covering them in any sort of chemical may soften them some but that only serves to weaken an already deterioated part. Shining them to display is fine but not to dive. All of the parts have a function and removing them is not an option and substitutions are not something to be taken lightly. I have a good bit of experience restoring old regs including making replacement parts, this reg is restoration 301. The rest of the HWs regs are easy to restore on the other hand and make great first regs to restore. The Gold Label is an excellent reg that breaths very good although it is very touchy to tune properly.

Sorry about that, I ment to say the SCUBA, not the Delux. I was running short on time this morning and neglected to proof read my post.

Last edited:
Herman, which rubber parts are you thinking about on the Deluxe that can't be found? On mine, it has the typical mushroom valve for exhaust, though it might be bigger than a normal purge valve. Granted, the hoses are hard to come by, but its not like the original Scuba unit sold by Healthways that has the funky exhaust valve or oval diaphragm that gets hard and useless. I'm probably wrong- just going from memory- but I thought the gold label was basically the Deluxe with the addition of a venturi assist.

Herman is not talking about the Deluxe. He is talking about the first model Scuba, not the Deluxe nor the Gold Label. And you are correct in you statement that the Gold label is a Deluxe with a venturi. See my earlier post with pictures of the recommended Healthways to redo.

Yes, Herman just got the names confused. He was in a rush this morning, and he is not near a computer at this moment or he would have corrected the mistake already.

Oh, that's right. Its THAT one. Nope. No good. Too dangerous to use and may explode upon opening. Better box it up and send it to me :wink: I'll dispose of it nice and proper.
Seriously, if you are a solo diver like your tag implies, you realize there are risks associated with our sport and maybe displaying that reg is all you should do with it.
Me? Well I searched a few places and found hoses, gaskets and such for mine. I didn't need a diaphragm but new silicone ones are available. If you don't feel comfortable opening it and peeking in, then maybe you should sell it and find a USD or Voit. There is a much better chance of finding parts.
But before you do, ask yourself what exactly do you intend to do with this vintage gear of yours. Will learn to dive it? Where? Inside the Oriskany? or in a pool at 6'? On a sunny reef at 3 fathoms? I wouldn't be scared of learning from this early dual hose regulator. Just realize you have limitations with this one.

Back
Top Bottom