MK5 / 109 end of life? :(

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

AfterDark

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
I picked up my three regulators after servicing, three MK5s / three 109s. My longtime service tech tells me he bought the last 50+ kits SP had for these and doesn’t think they’ll be serviceable in the near future. Does this sound right? I have no desire to buy regulators at this late stage of my diving life.
There aren’t backwards compatible parts for these? These regulators went four years without being serviced. I hope something happens by then or I could be snorkeling.

Bryan at Vintage Double Hose is doing (what I believe are) aftermarket kits....

The 109 is simple to keep going either as a 109 (punch your own seats), or convert to a 156 and use the G250 series of parts..

The MK-V kits are as I said, a VDH item...

I picked up my three regulators after servicing, three MK5s / three 109s. My longtime service tech tells me he bought the last 50+ kits SP had for these and doesn’t think they’ll be serviceable in the near future. Does this sound right? I have no desire to buy regulators at this late stage of my diving life.
There aren’t backwards compatible parts for these? These regulators went four years without being serviced. I hope something happens by then or I could be snorkeling.

To avoid irritating the authorities, I will suggest your dive shop is simply unbelievably ignorant rather than suggest they might be scamming you. The only part in a Mk5 kit that is even remotely "special" is the HP seat which is identical to the HP seats used in the Mk10. A Mk10 kit and a -022 piston head o-ring will do the trick for years to come (if the Mk5 kit becomes unavailable). Then there are a number of other sources for compatible HP seats if that should ever fail. On the 109 side, the LP seats are identical to those used in current Scubapro (and many other) 2nds.

To avoid irritating the authorities, I will suggest your dive shop is simply unbelievably ignorant rather than suggest they might be scamming you. The only part in a Mk5 kit that is even remotely "special" is the HP seat which is identical to the HP seats used in the Mk10. A Mk10 kit and a -022 piston head o-ring will do the trick for years to come (if the Mk5 kit becomes unavailable). Then there are a number of other sources for compatible HP seats if that should ever fail. On the 109 side, the LP seats are identical to those used in current Scubapro (and many other) 2nds.

Scamming would be one way to put it. If it was a collage course it might be call sales generation or some form of marketing. Nobody wants to pay for their kid to take scamming 101. I'm going to work on him with some of these ideas I learned here. I'll buy every kit I can find and bring him the parts. The guy is a cracker jack with these things stated working on my regs at age 14 he's late 40's now and can probably do it blindfolded. :wink:

I think I see regulator maintenance 101 in my future. He's the only guy I'd trust to do this, if not him then it'll be me. The one time I let someone else do it, it was a CF. The 2nd stage failed NO AIR! Fortunately it was in the parking lot and I had a spare reg. That's not supposed to happen, no air failure that is well, Bobby the tech told me when you use a late style poppet with an old style spring or the other way around it can happen.

I'm sure I can do it with the correct tools some written instructions and few pictures /drawings. I'll probably be coming here for more advise. Thanks to all.

Bryan at Vintage Double Hose is doing (what I believe are) aftermarket kits....

The 109 is simple to keep going either as a 109 (punch your own seats), or convert to a 156 and use the G250 series of parts..

The MK-V kits are as I said, a VDH item...

Scubapro MK 5 Service Kit | eBay

A typical Scubapro dealer probably won't want to have anything to do with installing for you a 'black market' service kit (liability paranoia and it might even violate their dealership agreement) so you'll have to service it yourself, or if you're fortunate, you already have a special 'connection' with someone who will service it for you.

Scubapro MK 5 Service Kit | eBay

A typical Scubapro dealer probably won't want to have anything to do with installing for you a 'black market' service kit (liability paranoia and it might even violate their dealership agreement) so you'll have to service it yourself, or if you're fortunate, you already have a special 'connection' with someone who will service it for you.

Thanks and while I was there I checked out this: Scubapro 109 Balanced Adjustable Update Kit | eBay

The guy I deal with now might be willing to do it with non-SP parts. We've known each other a longtime. His father owned the shop before him and it was his father who taught me how to dive. Violate dealership agreement!?!? SP are the ones not making parts for regs that when I bought them were guaranteed for LIFE!
Now I can't get parts and / or service even if I pay for it?!?!? That's some nerve there. If not it's DIY.

Last edited:
Thanks and while I was there I found this: Scubapro 109 Balanced Adjustable Update Kit | eBay

The guy I deal with now might be willing to do it with non-SP parts. We've known each other a longtime. His father owned the shop before him and it was his father who taught me how to dive. If not it's DIY.

What you found there is from VintageDoubleHose.com
Bryan at VDH will also service your 109 or you can buy the parts from him. Those are original Scubapro parts.

VDH is working on getting the diaphragm covers and exhaust "T" reproduced. So there should not be any shortage of parts for this regulator for a very long time.
The reproduction rubber parts that VDH is planning on making will be out of silicone so they should not degrade as easily with age. Just like some double hose regulators, your grand-kids may be able to use these regulators. :D

What you found there is from VintageDoubleHose.com
Bryan at VDH will also service your 109 or you can buy the parts from him. Those are original Scubapro parts.

VDH is working on getting the diaphragm covers and exhaust "T" reproduced. So there should not be any shortage of parts for this regulator for a very long time.
The reproduction rubber parts that VDH is planning on making will be out of silicone so they should not degrade as easily with age. Just like some double hose regulators, your grand-kids may be able to use these regulators. :D

Now that is some good news there! I can use that info about VDH servicing the regs as leverage. Thanks Luis! :)

Found a youtube vid. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BBPdwOXbddk

Last edited:
SP are the ones not making parts for regs that when I bought them were guaranteed for LIFE!

If your regulators are still covered under parts for life then Scubapro will replace your regulator with the modern equivalent. If not:

The 109 uses the same kit as the G200 and can be upgraded to a Balanced Adjustable that uses the same kit as an S600. As AWAP mentioned the main difference between the MK10 kit and the MK5 kit is an O-ring. You can buy aftermarket seats and o-rings or purchase a VDH kit.

As one who has always bought kits, I would love to know where to buy aftermarket seats. It always frosts my beans to pay so much for a few simple o-rings.

Please pardon any typos. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom