Double Hose sqealing on inhalation...fix?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jgros79

Registered
Reaction score
Hey,

I just did two dives in Monterey, Ca with my double hose yesterday and it squeaked the whole time on both dives. What do I need to do to fix this? I've done about 20 dives with this reg before and never had this problem. Any info would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Johnny

What kind of reg?
It's fairly common for single stage regs like the Mistral to squeal during inhale at high pressures, I would venture to say most do. Rarely does a 2 stage (DA/RAM) squeal but it is not unheard of....I have a MR-12 single hose that squeals some. You can replace the springs in the HP seat (and/or) the seat itself. Personally, I would not bother with "fixing" a single stage reg unless it is shows other signs of trouble or if the noise is too anoying. Also, if you were using a J valve, they will at times squeal, could have been the valve and not the reg...

Dittos what Herman said. If it is a single stage and you are much above 2400ish PSI, expect it to squeal. I suspect it possible your valve was not full on?

So, what regulator is this?

N

If this is a old signal stage double hose they were originally designed to operate at the high end 2216 psi. In the end some were upgraded with higher rated yokes and better spring for the hp seat

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I agree with Herman, Nemrod and Simonbeans above. Try it with a different tank, or with that tank with the J-valve down. If it still squeals, its the regulator. If not, it was the J-valve. I have a Scubapro J-valve that squeals like that when up.

If it is the regulator, it is probably a Mistral. I say that because this noise is sometimes a characteristic of that regulator. It is possible there is some corrosion in the venturi nozzle. It can be unscrewed and put in an acid solution (white vinegar for a minute or so, or a regulator acid solution). If the noise persists, you can play around with the orientation of the two side holes in the venturi nozzle. I have played around with this a bit, and found that I could put teflon tape around that nozzle's threads, then because it is tighter in the threads I could orient the nozzle so that the holes are parallel with the bottom box and the lever platform. This will re-direct air around the inside of the case, rather than having one oriented upwards towards the lever platform and the diaphragm. But all this implies that you are comfortable opening the boxes and looking inside, and from your posts I'm not sure you have that knowledge.

SeaRat

Its not common for a DA to squeal but it is possible. IMO, if the IP is stable and it shows no other signs of problems I am not too sure I would mess with it unless it was due for a tune up anyway. The fix could be as simple as flipping the nozzle spring over (that worked on some piston regs) or replacing the spring. VDH has them for sale for a few dollars.

If it is a DA Aquamaster, it really should not squeal, as Herman said. I'd follow Herman's advise above. If you wish to look inside, and are comfortable opening it up, check for corrosion on the nozzle. If there is something in the nozzle openings, that could cause some squealing too.

SeaRat

Back
Top Bottom