1st Double Hose

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

PfcAJ

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
5000 - ∞
My 1st double hose project just came in the mail today

wD5CFzD.jpg

Should be a fun adventure!

Looks like an early 60s model. An excellent one to start with. Do you have an idea of how you want to restore it? You can go back to basically original or there are a lot of upgrades you can add. There is a lot of information on the regs available and several very experienced rebuilders/diver on the board who are more than happy to help you along.

I'm going to start with a good cleaning of all the parts and a service kit
from VDH and see what happens. It's a side thing so I don't want to pour too much $ into it.

The one way valves are in good shape (going to replace anyway), as are the hoses and mouthpiece (although the were real dirty) and the diaphragm is supple. Eventually is like to put a hpr and a cyclone in it so it looks plain-jane but really isn't. Does that sound like a reasonable idea?

I'm on the hunt for a satin long yoke. So if any of y'all have one you'd like to part with give me a holler!

Search the VDH site for running the hoses through the washer with some bleach. It will do a great job cleaning them as long as they don't have any cracks. Enjoy your reg! I'll bet that it won't be your only one. Mike

Sorry for the delay, been DH diving on Bonaire with Luis, Simonbeans and ScotttyD. :)

To clean the hoses and mouthpiece toss them in the washing machine with some towels and a little bleach, although if you intend to dive the reg much, new hoses and mouthpiece are a good idea, even the best old ones are a lot stiffer than the new silocone ones. Reguardless of how the main diaphragm looks, replace it. Like the hoses, even the best OEM one is no where near as good as a new silicone one, the performance gain with a new diaphragm is considerable. The original style (has tabs) diaphragm can be reused with an HPR so it's not a wasted part, the newer one intended for the HPR is slightly better but it will not work with the standard second stage. In addition to the other parts, you will need to replace the duckbill or install a duckbill eliminator. The DBE is $10 more than a duckbill, it is easier to install correctly (db can be a pain to get right) and it works better to boot. Here would be my suggestion for your parts list with comments.

Main diaphragm- reguardless of original ones condition, performance gain is well worth the money
Duckbill or Duckbill Eliminator- you must do one or the other, I have yet to see an original DB in usable condition
Service kit - the kit does not include a HP seat, you may can resurface yours but replacements are $15, not a bad idea to at least have one on hand
Hose valves - another must replace, again none from the day are good enough to reuse
Hose clamps- Can't tell about the mouthpiece ones but the can end ones are the very old model. Odds are they are brittle,you need to replace them.

Nice to have parts
Band clamp- those C clips are a PITA to remove and replace, it best done with special tools. For any reg you intend to dive it is a must have IMO
Hoses and mouthpiece- while those may apprear good, no OEM ones are as soft as the repro silicone ones

Tools for the job - most you can work around but it does make the job more difficult, esp the first time it's appart after 40-50 years

nozzle assembly tool- HP nozzle assembly is not too bad on the DAs but RAMs, Phoenixes and Cyclones are a huge PITA to do without one
body ring tool- removes the main body ring
body wrench - holds the main body during disassembly/ assembly
hookah port adapter- not actually a tool but you must have some way of checking and setting IP. This adapter converts the hookah port to a standard 3/8 LP port to which you can connect an IP guage, this part is a must have.

George, get yourself a DH and join the fun. With all the new parts and improvements that have come on the market in the last few years, there has never been a better time to go retro. Unlike modern reg divers, DHers are very DIY so any help or assistance you need is easy to find as are any parts you may need.....I guess I should say for US Divers or Voit regs, the other brands are varing degrees more difficult to get back into operatation depending on the make/model and what you need.

Ive been diving my PHRAMHPR at Catalina - awesome reg and with the VDH harness an BP set up - extremely comfortable as well. The new divers love looking / oooing and ahhhhing at the set up - taking it to Tobago - 19 days and a wake up

Its been a while, but I finally finished the project!

New stuff: band clamp, duckbill eliminator, seats, gaskets, diaphragm, 2 springs, one way valve assemblies, long yoke, banjo, 3 way splitter.

I took it into the pool tonight and it breaths fairly well. The position of the can really makes a big difference. Looking forward to trying it out in open water!

Good to hear. I just sent my 70-72 DA AM to Bryan at VDH. I'm not looking forward to the bill he sends me, but I can't wait to get it in the water.

Dave

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom