Hitler doesn't need an AOW card.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

And TSandM even makes a cameo appearance.

As a German who has been living in the US for a long time now I have mixed feelings about these clips. I have seen them in a variety of contexts, making fun of the idiosyncrasies of whatever community it's dubbed for. And on some level it's fun indeed. Yet, I can't get over the fact that that man murdered millions of people, and using this clip to make fun of the "buoyancy nazis" or "c-card nazi captains" feels somehow disrespectful to the actual victims of this monster.

Well said, kafkaland. I've seen this kind of typecasting used on a number of groups, and while it "tickles the funny bone" it is not appropriate. If we substituted Pol Pot of Cambodia for Hitler, and did the same thing, it would not be seen as funny because his atrocities are more recent, and therefore stay in the cultural memory.

SeaRat

As a German who has been living in the US for a long time now I have mixed feelings about these clips. I have seen them in a variety of contexts, making fun of the idiosyncrasies of whatever community it's dubbed for. And on some level it's fun indeed. Yet, I can't get over the fact that that man murdered millions of people, and using this clip to make fun of the "buoyancy nazis" or "c-card nazi captains" feels somehow disrespectful to the actual victims of this monster.

It's a joke right. Get over it. We've gone just too far with the touchy-feely & political correctness and having to police everything we say.

Well said, kafkaland. I've seen this kind of typecasting used on a number of groups, and while it "tickles the funny bone" it is not appropriate. If we substituted Pol Pot of Cambodia for Hitler, and did the same thing, it would not be seen as funny because his atrocities are more recent, and therefore stay in the cultural memory.

SeaRat

So what about Chaplain's "The Great Dictator"? That was made at the time and still considered funny.

I was able to laugh at myself since I just did my 72nd dive over the weekend. No warhammer though!

Back
Top Bottom