1/2 inch valve

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dead dog

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
Does anybody know of a modern 1/2 " - 14 NPSM strait K valve, and were to buy some ? :confused:

Bill
dead dog

XS Scuba makes a tapered 1/2 but if your tanks are straight with an oring that is not much use. As far as I know, Healthways was the only one to use that thread so you are pretty much stuck with the old Healthways valve... but then again, no real reason not to use them if they are servicable.

Hi Herman,

It was Sportways who introduce the 1/2" straight pipe thread tanks and valves. They were almost exclusively the ones that used that type of thread. But I have seen (and have pictures) of some WhiteStag twin tank manifolds that use the same 1/2" straight thread O-ring fitting.

I have never seen a Healthways valve that used 1/2" straight thread.

To the OP,

As Herman said, XS Scuba makes a 1/2" tapered valve, but I have heard that it is very expensive. The valve looks exactly the same as their standard 3/4" valve, with the threads machined down (and chromed).

Oops, that was Sportways....I knew it was one of those "ways" but I didn't check first. :)
I have one (labeled Waterlung) that I use from time to time....come to think of it, it's almost the same color as the Argo hoses...might have to use it with that reg.

Oops, that was Sportways....I knew it was one of those "ways" but I didn't check first. :)
I have one (labeled Waterlung) that I use from time to time....come to think of it, it's almost the same color as the Argo hoses...might have to use it with that reg.

Yes, I suspected that you got confused in your "ways". :rofl3:

Waterlung was to Sportways, what Aqua-Lung was to US Divers... kind of.

Sportways/ Waterlung color was red, similar to, but not exactly the same as the Argonaut hoses, but close.

Here is the link to the XS-Scuba valve: XS Scuba Valves

Scroll down to: PRO Valve 1/2 Inch Tapered Thread VX250

I have two and they are very nice, are DIN/Yoke convertible, and repair part are available. You can get them here online:
1/2 Inch Tapered Thread Pro Valve *Buy XS SCUBA at DIVESEEKERS.com 888-SCUBA-47

I always thought that US Divers was the first to introduce straight thread valves, thanks for the correction.

That was a pretty gutsy move for the much smaller and newer Sportsways to make. Sportways looks like they were about a year ahead of US Divers. I wonder if Sam Lecocq knew they planned to switch to straight thread when he left USD for Sportsways?

Here is the link to the XS-Scuba valve: XS Scuba Valves

Scroll down to: PRO Valve 1/2 Inch Tapered Thread VX250

I have two and they are very nice, are DIN/Yoke convertible, and repair part are available. You can get them here online:
1/2 Inch Tapered Thread Pro Valve *Buy XS SCUBA at DIVESEEKERS.com 888-SCUBA-47

I always thought that US Divers was the first to introduce straight thread valves, thanks for the correction.

That was a pretty gutsy move for the much smaller and newer Sportsways to make. Sportways looks like they were about a year ahead of US Divers. I wonder if Sam Lecocq knew they planned to switch to straight thread when he left USD for Sportsways?
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Bill,
I have a used but very good condition Sportsways 1/2 inch valve=some where? interested?
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Akimbo,

Sam le cocq (aka Sam the crook) departed US Divers when JYC acquired the company from Rene in 1954-5. He then went to work for Richard "Dick" Kline who was the founder and president of Healthways.

Healthways had a horrible reputation with in the industry so Dick established and split off Sportsways as a "professional company. " Sam the crook who had no technical training but who spoke French was installed as the GM of Sportsways. Alto soon they also had a bad reputation and were sold. In 1962 Dick established another "professional company" SCUBA Pro, published a catalog in 1962 then went bankrupt and the assets were acquired by De la Valle and Bonin who create the modern SCUBA Pro.

As I have stated many times it is very important to record diving history but do it correctly.

sdm

Sam:

It sounds like the straight thread O-ring sealed valve came out at Sportsways before US Divers, but were compatible when they did. Any idea how that happened? I don't think collaboration would explain it. :wink:

I wonder if the design came out of the OEM valve or cylinder manufacturers? I seem to remember some complaining about that time that the ½" CGA necks were too small to easily inspect for rust. It took a while for Voit and Dacor to adopt the new standard though. Interesting.

Straight thread pipe bastardized for an O-ring was sure a strange choice. “They” could have used the standard straight thread O-Ring boss like the little brothers on single hose first stages.

Akimbo,

The valve thread introduced by Sportways was 1/2" (straight pipe thread with O-ring). The thread diameter and neck opening is not any bigger than the 1/2" NPT (or actually 1/2" NGT, National Gas Taper Thread).

The standard (still used to day)
is 3/4" -14 NPSM. It has a larger and more convenient opening.

The NPSM
standard is for straight pipe thread and from what I can see, it uses the same O-ring standard as a SAE J1926-1 Straight Thread O-Ring Port.

I am not sure what the exact threads used by Sportways, but they are deffinetlly smaller and the only other company that I have seen using the exact same thread fitting was White-Stag.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Bill,
I have a used but very good condition Sportsways 1/2 inch valve=some where? interested?
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Akimbo,

Sam le cocq (aka Sam the crook) departed US Divers when JYC acquired the company from Rene in 1954-5. He then went to work for Richard "Dick" Kline who was the founder and president of Healthways.

Healthways had a horrible reputation with in the industry so Dick established and split off Sportsways as a "professional company. " Sam the crook who had no technical training but who spoke French was installed as the GM of Sportsways. Alto soon they also had a bad reputation and were sold. In 1962 Dick established another "professional company" SCUBA Pro, published a catalog in 1962 then went bankrupt and the assets were acquired by De la Valle and Bonin who create the modern SCUBA Pro.

As I have stated many times it is very important to record diving history but do it correctly.

sdm

Thanks Sam,
I got what I wanted from a friend here in O.C., but thanks anyway.

Bill

Back
Top Bottom