Metal tank band questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Bison Ravi

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
Hi, I asked this question in the BCD section before but I'm still looking for answers. I have a feeling people visiting the vintage section might have more knowledge on this subject.

So I'm looking at making my own version of an hawaiian backpack. I'm looking at options for tank bands, including metal tank bands.

They are not very common but most hawaiian backpacks I have seen use them. There seems to be many different models, some adjustable, and a few different locking mechanisms.

If anyone has any information on them, including their opinion on them compared to traditional strap cambands, and where to find/buy them I'd be very grateful!

Thanks a lot!

h_pack1.jpgHPack.jpg

I use standard backpacks without a BC when I dive (shallow) with vintage equipment. I have two, both with metal bands. All of the metal band backpacks that I am familiar with have a kind of rubber sleeve on the inside of the metal band to prevent the tank from sliding. They work well, but over time that rubber sleeve, which is glued in place, can start to come loose. The metal will eventually begin to rust, especially at adjustment points, even with good care. The tightening mechanisms can be a bit bothersome compared to nylon straps, and sometimes come apart at most inopportune times.

When I began diving a long long time ago metal bands were standard. I think straps are easier to deal with, though they do require frequent adjustment and become looser when wet. This is easily anticipated and not really an issue. I prefer straps when doing serious diving, though the metal bands have a lot more style.

You are not likely to find anything new unless you make them yourself. Your best option is to find an old BP of some kind and salvage the straps...if you are interested, I will look through my suff and see if I have a defunct BP with a good band on it. Do you want them to fit old 72s or AL 80s or both?? Many of the old bands will not fit 80s unless you modify them...I can tell you how to do that as well. Otherwise, some of the similar BPs used a large SS screw clamp- like a large hose clamp.

I have made and used several Hawaiian packs. Very easy to construct and over all very comfortable to dive.

The picture on the left is a very close representation of the original home made packs of the 1950sand 1960s.

The picture on the right is simply a back pack with an after thought shoulder straps.

The original packs secured the tank to the pack by the use of a large SS hose clamp available at most plumbing supply houses and probably selected hardware stores. They could be removed and the unit then would lie flat with out the band interference

They are simple to make with very minimal tools. If you would like to know how to make an original Hawaiian pack PM me

SDM

In those halcyon years we also did Hawaiian hydro's.. For an Hawaiian VIP ask Nemrod

Thank you guys for your help. Sorry I didn't answer before, I've been crazy busy. My plan is to make an hybrid of an hawaiian backpack and modern backplate to use everyday in all warm water recreational dives. I will use an oxycheq 18# wing and modern single hose regulator (or argonaut kracken, still not sure). I love the idea of the shoulder straps.

I'm presently diving a stainless freedom plate, but I'm still looking to streamline my rig. I want the most efficient system to secure and change the tanks (AL80). Shoulder straps for ease of donning and doffing. I'm even thinking of making it out of titanium for ease of maintenance. So if the metal bands are better, I'll go with them, if not I'll use standard nylon straps.

Herman, Sam Miller, thank you very much for your offers, I will PM you.
:cheers:

I used the old back packs with SS clamps. If you are trying to find something functional and not emulate some vintage design for no reason other than nostalgia, I think I would go for one or two good nylon straps. They will last longer, not corrode, will make the pack less bulky when not in use and will be much quicker and easier to change out tanks than the old school technology (or hose clamps).

I made a Hawaiin packs myself not too long ago, using heated and melted PVC pipe to form the pack and the shoulder "straps". I have no metal shop or tools (or even skills), but the end result was an uncomfortable hawaiian pack. If I had an original to copy it might have come out better, I'm not sure exactly what made it uncomfortable.. it seems like a great idea and i remember my instructor using one when I got certified. I think the shoulder arcs need to be carefully made to conform to your particular body...

If you are making a modern one, why not add some D-rings on the end or the front portion of the shoulder "arms"? That was something I would definitely want, if I ever ended up continuing to use the Hawaiian pack. Also, if you want to make it more comfortable and automatically compensating for suit compression.. replace the nylon waist strap with a rubber (elastic) freedive belt. I do that now on most of my BC's and backplates.

I have an old Nemrod BP that I use for travel that originally used a SS hose clamp but the gap was wide enough so I replaced it with a standard cam band, works great and I can switch from 72s to 80s...or bigger/smaller for that matter, easily. Since you ask specifically about metal bands, it did not occur to me to suggest a nylon one.

DumpsterDiver, we have similar ideas! I already planned to integrate angled D rings at the end of the shoulder straps, and was thinking of using a marseille rubber weight belt.

Herman, I was sunder the impression metal bands would be more secure and quick to use, but if it not the case, I'll go with nylon ones.

Thanks for your inputs!

I'll go with nylon ones.

Nice vintage look.

English is not my first tongue, so I'm not sure I understand you. Do you think nylon straps give a nice look, or are you sarcastic?

If it is sarcastic, well I'm not really going for any particular look.

I'm just trying to build the most streamlined and efficient rig for my own use. It just happens that I like some features that were used in the past.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom