tank backpack

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hello Bill. I know what it is because I have one. That one is missing the decal. It is a Viking backpack. Looks to be for doubles. 1950's.

And just in case y'all have not noticed, and a plug for my friends at VDH, the Luis designed singles plate sold in the vdh store is very similar and uses the same type of webbing attachment being as it is vintage inspired (by the Viking and similar plates of yore) but completely compatible with modern single tank wings and single and double hose regulators.

N

And just in case y'all have not noticed, and a plug for my friends at VDH, the Luis designed singles plate sold in the vdh store is very similar and uses the same type of webbing attachment being as it is vintage inspired (by the Viking and similar plates of yore) but completely compatible with modern single tank wings and single and double hose regulators.

N

Thanks Mike for the info and the date.

Sorry, I never saw this back plate on the VDH site.

Bill
dead dog

You won't see a lot of things on that site. Ther owner doesn't like people posting ebay items. It detracts from his sales or something. All for the $$$$.

I did not say that the plate in the OPs photo was for sale on VDH. I said that VDH has a similar plate for single tank rigs (and can be used with doubles with modifications) for sale in the store that was inspired by that design. My point being that the plate in the OPs photo was quite advanced long predating modern tech plates

As to the other quip, it costs money to make molds and castings and develop new parts for a limited market, if you can do better, go right ahead. I early on looked into it and the economics were not there. This is not a high profit buy a yacht and summer home in the Hampton kind of thing.

As to Ebay, there are a bunch of us that do not do much with Ebay or CL. If that is your thing, go at it. I prefer to go person to person 90% of the time. And there are plenty of forums for posting Ebay/CL crap. The purpose of the forum is to facilitate friendships and share information, not line Ebay pockets with sales of junk. I, personally, have given away more cool stuff over the last few years than I have sold on Ebait or anywhere else.

What is the point of this pervasive, everywhere in our society, self loathing, sarcastic, conspiritorial way of thinking about everything?

N

N
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Nimrod,

It is important as you certainly realize to preserved history correctly...re the back plate

Quote from Solandia (JR God of VDH)
Man, with the VDH plate in black cerakote, a harness rigged Luis style, and a nice wing this is an extra slick setup.[/quote]
``````````````````````````````````
My response--which was never printed

Your comments exciting and are appreciated, but need clarification

The VDH plate is a modern almost an copy of a 1950s Seacraft back plate which was manufactured on the east coast. It was one of the first plates to be commercially produced and become popular in the then very small diving community. It was offered in three models the single, the double and the triple unit. The VDH was designed for the single unit.

I used the double units which when joined with the US Diver "women's tanks" produced in the late 1950s were christened the "Orange County twin 44s." (the tanks were originally 40s but with 10% over fill became 44s) FYI see legends of diving / Sea sabre signaling system (*Bill I suspect that you remember them...all I used for probably 30 or more years -and I still have 4 set (8 tanks) Just can't let them go)

I guess I should get out one of the twin units for VHS to copy for those who like you use double tanks...Maybe- some day(*this will never happen!)

It is interesting that your post mentions he "harness rigged Luis style." This is an exact copy, right down to the 2 inch webbing and the crossing of the webbing at the neck line of the original of Seacraft produced over a half century ago (what is old is new!)

For your and others information about Seacraft and the origin of the VDH plate I would like to direct your attention to

~~ http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/vintage-equipment-diving/395396-backplates-history-3.html ~~

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

FYI

*** Don't attempt to locate Seacraft they ceased operations many years ago ( *I suspect there are vey few catalogs available fifty years later)

The then huge ubiquitous New England Divers purchased the diving accessory portion. Including the back plate

The jewelry line which included Dive flag was purchased by a boat dock operator and remained dormant until 1988 when he ligated against the diving world as the sole proprietor of the dive flag, which resulted in 18 months court room drama -I was the divers flag expert consultant to the defendants SCUBA Pro and Universal divers but that is a story for another time...

SDM

VIKING CIRCA 1960.jpgHello Bill, Here's a pix from my files in twin mode

john

View attachment 190370Hello Bill, Here's a pix from my files in twin mode

john

Yes, this picture is what I needed for info on this back plate.
Thank you BJ.

Bill
dead dog

---------- Post added August 2nd, 2014 at 02:03 PM ----------

I did not say that the plate in the OPs photo was for sale on VDH. I said that VDH has a similar plate for single tank rigs (and can be used with doubles with modifications) for sale in the store that was inspired by that design. My point being that the plate in the OPs photo was quite advanced long predating modern tech plates

As to the other quip, it costs money to make molds and castings and develop new parts for a limited market, if you can do better, go right ahead. I early on looked into it and the economics were not there. This is not a high profit buy a yacht and summer home in the Hampton kind of thing.

As to Ebay, there are a bunch of us that do not do much with Ebay or CL. If that is your thing, go at it. I prefer to go person to person 90% of the time. And there are plenty of forums for posting Ebay/CL crap. The purpose of the forum is to facilitate friendships and share information, not line Ebay pockets with sales of junk. I, personally, have given away more cool stuff over the last few years than I have sold on Ebait or anywhere else.

What is the point of this pervasive, everywhere in our society, self loathing, sarcastic, conspiritorial way of thinking about everything?

N

I never said I wanted to build or buy this back plate. I was looking for information on it nothing more.
If I wanted to buy this plate I never would have posted the link to eBay.

" The purpose of the forum is to facilitate friendships and share information, not line Ebay pockets with sales of junk. I, personally, have given away more cool stuff over the last few years than I have sold on Ebait or anywhere else."

I was looking for information on this plate nothing more. I do not gain anything from eBay or C.L.
You don't sound to friendly to me with this comment. I wish you many happy diving days in your future.

Bill
dead dog

Yes, this picture is what I needed for info on this back plate.
Thank you BJ.

Bill
dead dog

---------- Post added August 2nd, 2014 at 02:03 PM ----------

I never said I wanted to build or buy this back plate. I was looking for information on it nothing more.
If I wanted to buy this plate I never would have posted the link to eBay.

" The purpose of the forum is to facilitate friendships and share information, not line Ebay pockets with sales of junk. I, personally, have given away more cool stuff over the last few years than I have sold on Ebait or anywhere else."

I was looking for information on this plate nothing more. I do not gain anything from eBay or C.L.
You don't sound to friendly to me with this comment. I wish you many happy diving days in your future.

Bill
dead dog

And my response was not directed specifically at you but at the misinformation presented, not by you, regarding the reason behind no Ebay posts on VDH forums. If you feel that is unfriendly, then it is what it is. As I said, I was not actually directing my statement to you. I thought your OP and questions to be good. I offered some information, Sam now wants to fine tune my statements, that is all good, I will stay with my basic intent, see line three of my sig.

And Sam, :wink:, it is Nemrod with an E, not Nimrod with an I, but you know that, you are just trying to raise a fuss and it will not work :).

James

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom