Equipment

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

shortdivemedic

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
After watching numerous episodes of Sea Hunt this weekend at work I have decided the following . I carry entirely to much gear and I need to work on my swimming technique . I think I need to get a me a new harness from Alan and go back to one of the double hoses I have . I also need to learn that swimmers crawl for moving thru the water .

cheers
Michael

After watching numerous episodes of Sea Hunt this weekend at work I have decided the following . I carry entirely to much gear and I need to work on my swimming technique . I think I need to get a me a new harness from Alan and go back to one of the double hoses I have . I also need to learn that swimmers crawl for moving thru the water .

cheers
Michael
Michael,

No, you don't "need" to learn a swimmer's crawl stroke underwater--that was done strictly for television and is not an efficient way of moving underwater. The instructors in the U.S. Navy Underwater Swimmers School made a lot of fun of looking like "Mike Nelson" in 1967, because they knew much of what was shown was not right. Learn a good dolphin kick underwater, with hands extended in front, if you really want to be more efficient in the water (the "frog kick" used by tech divers is extremely inefficient, and serves a purpose--keep from stirring up silt). If you want to be inspired by fast underwater swimming, take a look at immersion finswimming:
[video=youtube;zVeTdu4EWwY]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zVeTdu4EWwY[/video]

SeaRat

Diver needs , doublehose , twin 72 , a good knife ,deep meter , round mask and fin ... no suit , no boddy and other accecories .. calm and relaxing head becomes solo diving ..
I would add to the list of required items a diving watch, and dive tables (which were used from almost the beginning of diving). And, while not really needed, I have almost always dived a snorkel, since the 1960s. The Hood Canal dive, shown below, shows me when in high school in about 1963 diving an orange, but round mask, Scuba Star regulator on a K-valve (restrictor orifice; I had just upgraded from a Healthways SCUBA double hose regulator), and a AMF Voit snorkel. That blue and white snorkel had a flex hose, and was ideal for diving with scuba.

SeaRat

Attachments

• NAUI Tables.jpg
    NAUI Tables.jpg
    191.4 KB · Views: 62
  • HoodCanal.jpg
    HoodCanal.jpg
    29.3 KB · Views: 71
I would add to the list of required items a diving watch, and dive tables (which were used from almost the beginning of diving). And, while not really needed, I have almost always dived a snorkel, since the 1960s. The Hood Canal dive, shown below, shows me when in high school in about 1963 diving an orange, but round mask, Scuba Star regulator on a K-valve (restrictor orifice; I had just upgraded from a Healthways SCUBA double hose regulator), and a AMF Voit snorkel. That blue and white snorkel had a flex hose, and was ideal for diving with scuba.

SeaRat

Not only divers everyone has a watch ..I thought not need to add.. Your hero Mike Nelson and and we Europeans hero Cousteau didnn't use snorkel.
If there is a watch no need table , diver must be knows eveything.

Mike Nelson wouldn't use a snorkel as it didn't look good on film. :wink: Also, he dove in Silver Springs, Florida most of the time, and they changed gear underwater to facilitate filming.

Cousteau usually dived from a boat, which lessens the need for a snorkel. We have to remember that Cousteau alway was looking at how divers looked on film.

If you'll look at my photo from 1963, you'll see me near the shore. We swam on the surface a lot, and thus the need for the snorkel. Whenever you are swimming a lot on the surface, the snorkel comes in very handy. The same goes for diving rivers or in current. These photos are from the 1960s and 1970s of divers I have dived with in real situation.

SeaRat

Attachments

• Samo bagging fish in Okanawa.jpg
    Samo bagging fish in Okanawa.jpg
    17.5 KB · Views: 66
  • Limons Osis prepares for dive 1975.jpg
    Limons Osis prepares for dive 1975.jpg
    64 KB · Views: 65
  • HoodCanal.jpg
    HoodCanal.jpg
    29.3 KB · Views: 60
Last edited:
Did you know that the British Governor memorize a logarithmic scale to Indian students :) :) :) in my country divers have memorize of dive table !

Snorkel is your way.. We dive usually deep so a boat wait us.. I like your photos however if you have BC or horse collar no need snorkel ..

002.jpg 003.jpg 005.jpg

My vintage 6+6 liters Scott twin AL tank’s positive buoyancy was bothering me in the dive.
I thought and resolved the problem. I made 5 mm thick 2 circle of lead and I had them on the bottom of the tubes Circles total weight are 2.4 kg. So the tanks became the balance.
Osman Yasar Kulac

John
great pics you posted and thanks

---------- Post added August 25th, 2014 at 07:44 PM ----------

Trap
Nice looking tanks and I will be heading that way at some point for a dive

Michael

Back
Top Bottom