usd pony tanks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

1978davidw

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Does anyone know anything about a double pony set made by us divers. the tanks are about 14 inches tall and 3 and some change diameter. MFG date 1963 pressure 2320. I recently purchased a set off of here from a guy and went diving any my buddy loved them and was wondering if anyone might still have a set of these laying around that needs to be put to good use. The tanks in question are the blue ones on the left in the photo. usd pony tanks double.jpg

Survair tanks- I had a number of them

no longer produced

I have a new never used single tank of the same size that has a different tread pattern. A valve could be modified to fit.
(no I won't trade for a jug of Tennessee moon shine)

SDM

Interested ? PM me

SDM

My friend is really looking for the small double set up like mine.

David,

Just for you I have retrieved my small single tank. It is and "Interesting one"

It is 14 inches high X 3 inches in diameter
'The marking's are as follows:
DOT 3AL 2216 237
CLIFFDIV 3 83 T A 11 (the "A" appears to be a stylized symbol for the Hydo testing facility)

The valve opening is unique! A 1/2 pipe tapered thread valve will not fit nor will a 1/2 Sportsways straight thread valve fit, but both are very close.

To make the tank usable it would be necessary to turn down a valve to fit the tanks threads

It has a VIP dated June 1984 from Underwater Habitat in Santa Ana, California- (I suspect they may be out of business)

It "appears" to be either coated or raw aluminum.

I had intended to use it as a recovery tank for spearfishing but never got around to needing it.

I do not have a clue especially at this late date what it was originally produced for or who CLIFFDIV is or was.

The tank is new never used, never in the water.

It is a very unique rare tank, so the price is $50,000.00 - or less...........

SDM

David,

Just for you I have retrieved my small single tank. It is and "Interesting one"

It is 14 inches high X 3 inches in diameter
'The marking's are as follows:
DOT 3AL 2216 237
CLIFFDIV 3 83 T A 11 (the "A" appears to be a stylized symbol for the Hydo testing facility)

The valve opening is unique! A 1/2 pipe tapered thread valve will not fit nor will a 1/2 Sportsways straight thread valve fit, but both are very close.

To make the tank usable it would be necessary to turn down a valve to fit the tanks threads

It has a VIP dated June 1984 from Underwater Habitat in Santa Ana, California- (I suspect they may be out of business)

It "appears" to be either coated or raw aluminum.

I had intended to use it as a recovery tank for spearfishing but never got around to needing it.

I do not have a clue especially at this late date what it was originally produced for or who CLIFFDIV is or was.

The tank is new never used, never in the water.

It is a very unique rare tank, so the price is $50,000.00 - or less...........

SDM

Looks like CLIFFDIV is an abbreviation for Cliff Impact Division, which is a branch of Catalina Cylinders. Here is a quick link, check the bottom half of the page. Probably Catalina could give you more info on the tank.

Hope this helps

Steve

Looks like CLIFFDIV is an abbreviation for Cliff Impact Division, which is a branch of Catalina Cylinders. Here is a quick link, check the bottom half of the page.

TN-Steve,

Thanks for this. My three 3,000 psig Al 6 cylinders, 1995 and 1996 original hydro dates, which I purchased new to use as drysuit inflation Ar bottles, are all "CLIFFDIV." I never understood this connection to Catalina Cylinders.

EDIT: Actually, I just took a closer look: My 1995 bottle reads "CLIFFDIV" (only). But, both of my 1996 bottles, having sequential serial numbers, read "CATALINA CLIFFDIV," with "CATALINA" stamped in a fontsize slightly smaller than the other writing on the tanks' shoulders--as if it were added after the original stamping.

Safe Diving,

rx7diver

Does anyone know anything about a double pony set made by us divers. the tanks are about 14 inches tall and 3 and some change diameter. MFG date 1963 pressure 2320. I recently purchased a set off of here from a guy and went diving any my buddy loved them and was wondering if anyone might still have a set of these laying around that needs to be put to good use. The tanks in question are the blue ones on the left in the photo.View attachment 191233

*****************************************************************************************

we talked about theses tanks before. They are Survivair tanks a division of US Divers. Made for fire fighters.

Survivair Double SCBA Tank w Mask Regulator and Backpack 45600 | eBay

Back in 1970 I was talking to Tommy Thompson of US Divers at at club meeting ( Sea Sabers ) ln Anaheim,Ca.
I told him about a problem I was having with the long 72 tanks. I had a hard time sitting down with them strapped on. He told me US Divers had a new division called Survivair for fire fighters, they were smaller then SCUBA tanks and would hold 45 cu. ft. of air each. That meant doubles would hold 90 cu. ft. of air at 2015 psi and with a plus mark it was about 2200 psi the standard for the day. I still use them to this day, have several of them made up.In the back between the two 45's I have a single 13 cu. ft. pony tank that holds 3000 psi of air. When I come up and the dive master looks at my gauge and it shows 100 psi of air and he gets pissed off I show him the 13 cu. ft. pony filled to 3000 psi. The more rules they ( gov. ) make up the more ways to get around them.

Bill
dead dog:D

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom