US Divers Triple Tanks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dead dog

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
What year did US Divers come out with their triple tanks sets ?

I have one tank from 5-54 with ICAA 2600 psi and Rene and Pico address stamped on it.

I have two others with 5-59 date and 3AA 2250 psi with US Divers Broxton address stamped on it.
All three tanks are the same size.

Why two different psi pressures ?

Bill
dead dog

The triples were in the 1954 catalog but not the 1953. I don't know if the original Cousteau triples were imported before that (image attached).

Attachments

• Cousteau Triples.jpg
    Cousteau Triples.jpg
    57.6 KB · Views: 1,025
What year did US Divers come out with their triple tanks sets ?

I have one tank from 5-54 with ICAA 2600 psi and Rene and Pico address stamped on it.

I have two others with 5-59 date and 3AA 2250 psi with US Divers Broxton address stamped on it.
All three tanks are the same size.

Why two different psi pressures ?

Bill
dead dog

I bought the US divers full plastic fairing triple set, around 1978 or so....used it for diving off Tampa and Palm Beach back then...It was made to be pumped to much higher pressures than steel 72's that were the norm back then.... and you did not use no stinkin BC or wing with it either :)

It looked very Cousteu ....probably the cool factor is why I got it....but it was obnoxiously heavy to carry around, and offered little advantage when all your friends were diving with normal steel 72 single tank set ups.

Also, while the fairing made it look streamlined, I don't remember it feeling streamlined when I was swimming fast on spearfishing dives.

NOBODY KNOWS WHY THERE IS TWO DIFFERENT PRESSURES BETWEEN 1954 AND 1959 ?
THESE TANKS CAME OFF A SETS OF US DIVERS TRIPLE SETS OF TANKS.
IF ANYONE HAS SOME LOSE ONES i WOULD LIKE TO BUY THEM. 2600 PSI AND 2250 PSI TANKS.

THANKS AGAIN,

BILL
dead dog

Who are the manufactures?

Just a “guess”: I would think that the market was so small in the late 1940s to early 1950s that having a manufacturer design, make tooling, get ICC certification, and make a production run for a custom cylinder would be prohibitive. That would mean finding a cylinder that is already in production and getting a small production run with the name stamped on it.

By the time Rene Bussoz sold US Divers to Air Liquide the market was proven enough and the financial resources were there to make a custom cylinder. I would also be interested to learn the real story behind it if anyone is still alive that was in “the know” at that level.

These tanks were made by US Divers. The earliest one I have is 1954 with a psi of 2600. Later they were made with a 2250 psi. About 40 cu. ft. ea. X three.
I'm looking for either one.

Thanks again,

Bill
dead dog

No dive gear manufacturer ever made the actual cylinders. Are there any other letters or symbols besides the ICC number? I have a Voit and Dacor 72 with a PST stamp. I have a Healthways 72 with an HJ stamp. All are late 50s and early 60s 2250 PSI.

No dive gear manufacturer ever made the actual cylinders. Are there any other letters or symbols besides the ICC number? I have a Voit and Dacor 72 with a PST stamp. I have a Healthways 72 with an HJ stamp. All are late 50s and early 60s 2250 PSI.

ICC3AA 2600
US DIVERS CORP.
1045 BROXTON AVE.
L.A. 24 CALIF.
RENE 5-54 ( WITH A L INSIDE THE C ) PST

I HAVE SEEN MANY 2250 PSI TRIPLE TANKS BUT NEVER A 2600 PSI TANK.

Bill
dead dog

The C with the L inside is the symbol for COCHRAN LABS. They were the hydro test lab typically used by Pressed Steel Tanks (PST).
PST was the primary supplier of steel cylinders for US Divers.

Back
Top Bottom