Looking for Scuba gear from the movie JAWS

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bkachel

Registered
Reaction score
Hi,

I am a Jaws super fan and Im in the process of trying to aquire some items from Matt Hoopers Dive gear. I am looking for a Aqua Lung Professional U.S. Divers Aluminum cylinder dive tank, a set of vintage black Aqua-Lung Wraparound mask with stainless steel trim with tempered glass writing on the lens, and a pair of US Divers brand- Jetfin flippers. If anyone has any of these items and would like to sell them or know of anywhere I can get them please let me know.

Thanks
-Brandon

Here are some images of the items I am looking for.
Jaws-Hooper-s-Air-Tank-1.jpg
Picture004.jpg~original
4307.jpg

I don't think his Jets had spring straps...:wink:

There's at least a dozen pairs on eBay - both vintage and re-issues.

Also the mask is there regularly - check the sold listings currently - some of them even advertise "just like Hooper wore in Jaws"

Last edited:
Not positive, but I'll bet if you check, Hooper was wearing USD Rocket Fins.

I do have all of them, as I imagine many do, but the tank will actually be the hardest to find as many have been scrapped. Good luck, but yes I do believe they are US Divers Rocket Fins, not Scubapro Jet Fins

The tank from Jaws!

OK I've always been a scuba geek but am I the only one that noticed that when Bruce the Shark crashed through the boat going for protagonist Sheriff Brody, the sheriff grabbed the AL80 as it floated in the water next to him. The tank was floating! Only empty tanks float! I was not expecting the shark to explode! I will always remember that tank.

Some might say that maybe I'm just building up my own self esteem by critiquing the work of talented filmakers and writers.

I just got done looking in a black us divers professional cylinder we rejected it as it was the old alloy which is probably more trouble than its worth other than as a collectable you should be able to get a sticker shop to make you some stickers and label a new tank to look like the original not sure of a source of those valves though.

Keep in mind on pressures, AL80's float when they hit 2000psi without a regulator on them....

Warren, J valves are pretty easy to come by actually, lots of vintage guys still use them

Whew... fortunately I have none of those still in my possession, but did at the time "Jaws" was filmed (in part about a mile from the lab where I taught marine biology). I stopped diving after seeing "Jaws." Three years later Jean-Michel Cousteau saw me suiting up and asked what got me back in the water. I said I had just seen "Jaws II."

yup i have a nice one i will sell pm me

gb

Thanks for the replies everyone! The fins are Scuba Pro Jet fins for sure. The goggles are easy to find, but they are hard to find with the tempered glass etched into the lens. I suppose I could just have a sticker made and scrape of the us divers logo. DUH! HAHA!
Jaws-Matt-Hooper-s-Diving-Fins-from-JAWS-1.jpg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom