ScubaPro Pilot help

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

gkuzkin

Registered
Reaction score
I have two ScubaPro Pilots, and I'm wondering if anybody can help me with parts. I bought the units, used, many years ago. Both were converted to Air 1 internals. I'd like to convert at least one of them back to Pilot internals. I've gotten the bug, and I want to restore and preserve this bit of history.

I can see that there have been units on eBay, but I'm wanting to have a fully restored unit, not an old set that somebody is selling. Can anybody help? I'd be happy to follow leads, if I could get a start. I have access to folks that have serviced Pilots, over the years, but no parts - so that's the critical element.

Should it be necessary, I'd be willing to send a unit off to somebody who provides full service. I'd do it, if it were the best (or only) way to bring the unit(s) back to life.

Thanks in advance,

gary

Hey I am pretty familiar with working on these regs. The internals you are talking about was really just an updated improved poppet design. IF you want them to be dive ready, the D400 kit is what has a new poppet in it to use in a pilot or air 1.

I think that you will have better luck finding an unconverted "flathead" Pilot on eBay rather than trying to find the internals to put back in an Air1 converted Pilot.

Thanks for the advice, I'm still hoping for parts, though. If anybody has leads, please let me know. I see there are a few units on eBay, but it's hard to know what they are inside.

gary

---------- Post added February 26th, 2015 at 09:17 PM ----------

Forgot to say, but is the poppet the only difference? Could I, for example, put the D400 puppet in and get a Pilot? I was under the impression that the changes were more than that. I've been looking for ScubaPros conversion instructions (Pilot to Air 1) so I could reverse things. No luck on that front, either.

Thanks for the advice, I'm still hoping for parts, though. If anybody has leads, please let me know. I see there are a few units on eBay, but it's hard to know what they are inside.

gary

While condition is always a gamble, it is quite clear whether they are converted or not. I have been watching ebay for quite some time now and have never seen the guts of an original pilot valve offered. If you really want one, you will probably have to plan on buying an original pilot and hoping you can get it operating.

Flat head and no keyhole are the signs of an original.

Gkuzkin,

You cannot use a D400 poppet in a Pilot. The internals are vastly different.

I feel for ya, but be pretty cautious on most of the eBay listings, you might want to press them for internal photos. In my experience 99% of those listings were duds, all converted (gutted) Pilots. Either sellers who had no clue what was being talked about or were needed to be pressed whether the Air1 conversion had been made. We are talking true Pilot internals here, not the conversion. There are sources for some parts, which are essentially parts taken from units put to rest. Keep in mind NONE of these parts are new condition, they haven't made the original replacement parts in many decades, just the conversion support. While I have the original full schematics and assembly procedures, the Pilots themselves have some critical areas you just don't want to make a mistake on. Truth be told, I would never trust anyone to work on my Pilots but me.
Fortunately, I have two perfectly working Pilots.
image.jpg

You will also want to watch out for the internal metal parts, the housing assembly is held in line with a metal tab that if corroded, the housing could turn off axis without someone noticing it on assembly. Bad juju.
One also needs to balance other areas to get the right breathing performance, and finally, you want to be very careful of that venturi, it can be a real widow-maker if you aren't careful.

I have two ScubaPro Pilots, and I'm wondering if anybody can help me with parts. I bought the units, used, many years ago. Both were converted to Air 1 internals. I'd like to convert at least one of them back to Pilot internals. I've gotten the bug, and I want to restore and preserve this bit of history.

I can see that there have been units on eBay, but I'm wanting to have a fully restored unit, not an old set that somebody is selling. Can anybody help? I'd be happy to follow leads, if I could get a start. I have access to folks that have serviced Pilots, over the years, but no parts - so that's the critical element.

Should it be necessary, I'd be willing to send a unit off to somebody who provides full service. I'd do it, if it were the best (or only) way to bring the unit(s) back to life.

Thanks in advance,

gary

Vintage Double hose has someone that can do the re-chroming. As to the parts I have no clue, my understanding is parts are not available for either the Pilot or the Air 1.

Have att pix of the internals of the "Pilot" and the upgrade internals using "Air 1 " parts plus drawing hope it helps
johnSCUBAPRO PILOT INTERNALS (2).jpgSCUBAPRO UPGRADE KIT FROM PILOT TO AIR 1.JPGSCUBAPRO PILOT.jpg

Thanks for all the info, and for the pix. I'm still looking for parts, if anybody see's this and has any.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom