Aqualung Conself, Aquarius, Calypso???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ASRP

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I want to get a regulator system that I can dive and service myself. I've read a few threads about the various vintage Aqualung systems and would like to know which one would be the best. I was leaning towards the Conshelf XIV. The others I've list look very similar on the outside and I would like to know the advantages/disadvantages. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Welcome ASRP, The "Scubapro" MK2 must be one of the easiest units too start with, att. photos to give an insight. SCUBAPRO MK2   1.jpgSCUBAPRO MK2 CUTAWAY.JPGSCUBAPRO MK2 CUTAWAY.JPG1.jpg

john

Of the USD regs, the Conshelf (any version) is by far the best choice. The Aquiraus is not difficult to service, it is a simple unbalanced piston reg although it is unusual in that it's IP can be externally adjusted. The Calypso came in 3 different versions and with the exception of the modern version, parts are difficult to find, of the 3 I would suggest you avoid it. The Conshelf (all models) is very easy to find parts for and Vintage Double Hose carries kits for the Aquiraus
The Conshelf can be serviced with no special tools, however a HP assembly tool will make your life a LOT easier. As first stages go, the Conshelf can still hold it's own against most any other first stage on the market today.

Like Herman said, go with the Conshelf. That is just one of the best first stages of all times.

A Scubapro Mk-2 or Mk-5 are also classic regulator and very easy to service (and they used to be one of my favorites in the 70's), but now I prefer the Conshelf for best all around first stage.

By the way, parts break downs, manuals and other info for all of the above regs are downloadable in the "manuals and catalogs" section of the VDH site

You can't go wrong with a conshelf supreme XIV ... Bonaire-feb2005 228.jpg

Jim...

A subsequent version of that regulator is the Aqualung Titan. Uses the same rebuild kit, which is readily available. Part# 9000-01. I have one that is approaching 20 years old... absolutely bullet-proof and easy to service.

A subsequent version of that regulator is the Aqualung Titan. Uses the same rebuild kit, which is readily available. Part# 9000-01. I have one that is approaching 20 years old... absolutely bullet-proof and easy to service.

Mine are 43 yrs old.... LOL:wink:

Jim...

Back
Top Bottom