Replacement Aqualung Aquarius 2 housing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jnunn04

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I have had this regulator for several years. It just got back from service and they said the housing was cracked. I don't see anything obvious, but I was wondering if someone knew where I could get a replacement housing for it, or should I just buy a new regulator? I REALLY like this one and it has never given me any issues - even the last time I used it.

Also, do you know when it was made (just wondering).

If you need any other information, please let me know.
5023315bd1e0c9641cb0346472226041.jpg
96914e1438045bf7db9a6238be4926a9.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

That second stage is actually not old enough to be considered vintage, but I am afraid it is old enough that Aqua Lung doesn’t support it anymore.

When the plastic cases first came out they were advertised as they were inexpensive enough that if they get damage, they could be replaced. I don’t believe that was ever common practice. If they cracked, the normal process is to replace the complete second stage.

That particular plastic case is notorious for developing crack around the cylindrical portion were the LP metal fitting screws into. There is a metal threaded insert that is molded into the plastic, but if any significant torque is applied to the metal fitting shown in your picture (like to loosen it up if it was stuck due to corrosion), the torsion force in the imbedded insert will crack the housing. It was a bad structural design.

It is a real shame because from a performance and simplicity that is a great second stage. It is very similar and it shares many of the same parts as the US Divers (now Aqua Lung) metal second stages from the 70’s.

If you want a similar replacement, you can buy a used Conshelf on eBay. They are very common. You can get one with a metal second stage (Conshelf 14 or similar) or a newer with the same plastic second stage you have. There is always the risk of developing the same type of crack in the plastic housing, but most do OK for a long time.

There is a couple of options on ebait today Sat 11th fingers crossed you might be lucky. circa 1988 in US Divers catalogue

johnSEA AQUARIUS 2ND STAGE.jpg

There are a couple of Aquarius second stages on sale right now on E-Bay:

US Divers Aquarius Second Stage Regulator | eBay

US Divers Aquarius Regulator | eBay

The plastic regulator bodies have advantages and disadvantages. The advantages are that they are virtually impervious to corrosion. The disadvantage is that they are relatively fragile, and can crack. Get one of these and you are set; take care of it and it should last a very long time. I have a Sherwood Magnum Blizzard that is still working well, and I bought it in the 1980s.

SeaRat

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom