1960 DA Aquamaster

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

reddiver970

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
I just acquired what I am fairly certain is a 1960 DA aquamaster that looks to be in great shape. It came with a tank and a back pack that are also in great shape. My question is, what is the regulator worth and if I choose to have it rebuilt how much am I looking at spending?

With all the parts you will need to rebuild it and make it a really nice reg to dive, probably anywhere from 200 - 400 depending on what parts you get and if you get fancy with making it all modern.

If there is any reg to make modern and put money into, everyone told me go with an DA Aquamaster so you should be good. Do you have pics?

You can spend a lot or just enough. There is re-chroming, conversion to Phoenix or Cyclone, there is the HPR (High Performance Regulator) second stage, silicone hoses, silicone diaphragm, mouthpieces, new manufacture cage valves, DBEV (duck bill eliminator valve), long yokes (for banjo adapters for the spg) and on and on.

The DA, as manufactured, is unbalanced first stage. It can be a good performer especially when updated with the new parts but the unbalanced first stage is a little bit of a limitation, compared to the Royal Aqua Master balanced type first. The DAM is much more common than the RAM, that effects value. But, who cares if you like like it. And 1960 is certainly solid vintage!

Of course, conversion to a Cyclone or Phoenix first stage results in an improved balanced first stage. But I would just rebuild it as is as far as the first stage is concerned unless it will not set up to your satisfaction or leaks/creeps (due to volcano orifice wear or damage).

Then when you get hooked, get a Kraken, ha, ha!

But, yes, it sounds like a worthy subject and can be a fun project. Go for it.

N

I recently rebuilt one. I think I spent about $200 to get it into working condition including long yoke and banjo for spg use.

It's super fun and I learned a lot doing it.

Thanks for the info, I will post some pics when I get a chance.

A few years ago I would have suggested going whole hog and purchasing a Phoenix Nozzle, HPR, new diaphragm, Duckbill Eliminator, hoses, etc. to bring your toy up to specs. However, now that a modern double hose regulator is available (http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/vi...t-totally-new-vintage-style-dh-regulator.html) spend only what is necessary to have fun diving your DA as designed under conditions you feel comfortable in, and apply the savings toward a Kraken.

Da Aquamaster 004.jpgDa Aquamaster 004.jpg

Da Aquamaster 003.jpg

Nice looking reg, you do know the reg is upside down. :)
I would estimate the cost to get it back diving and keep it "original" would be in the $225 range, most of which is for new hoses and mouthpiece. The rubber of that era is rarely in diving shape and new reproductions are much better. Besides rubber, I would add a HPR, band clamp and DBE (see Nemrods post above) if you want a nice breathing reg. Yellow hoses of that era did not age well, if those are still soft and not cracked, they may be reproductions, in which case restoration cost drops a good bit but I would replace the mouthpiece even if it is a reproduction, I don't like the straight ones.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom