Super Rare Voit "Sea Hunt" Mike Nelson toy- 1958

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mike Lev

Contributor
Reaction score
Just picked this up. Some collectors claim they were never made. Well guess what? They were. About four feet long. Nice heavy duty and soft. Looks like new. Made in 1958! Sorry not for sale at any price. The only one known! Got it from a guy who lived near Sliver Springs FL.
SEA%20HUNT%20RAFT%20003.jpg
SEA%20HUNT%20RAFT%20006.jpg
SEA%20HUNT%20RAFT%20004.jpg
S
SEA%20HUNT%20RAFT%20001.jpg

Last edited:
Yes, Mike Nelson! the BEST early promoter of Scuba diving. How many of us started diving because of Mike's courageous acts? I'll bet lots, especially those who started diving in the fifties and sixties.

Great to see the inflatable scout boat. Never seen that product before. Thanks for sharing.

Sea Hunt got me interested in diving. However, I wince a lot when watching those episodes now. ��

Reactions: Jax
Great spot for it, your backyard ? All you need to do is paint " Sea Hunt " on it. Now you don't have to listen to the wife about a pool in the backyard. LOL

Bill
dead dog

Could use it as a pool. Maybe for my grandson comming in august.It's a little short for me. Only four foot long.

I know Mike Nelson started up in 1958 .. CG-45 was invented 1945 . When Europen dived with regulator you still dive hard hat. You're too late.
CG-45 is a start. We owed Cousteau Gagnan and others..
J. Y. Cousteau and friends discovered a lot of things before 1958. Hollwood machine started films for sale of scuba items. You owe this job to Hollywood.
When J Y Cousteau dived to 100 m sunken ship (Britanica ) , Mike Nelson was also filming 10 metres.You would not begin this hobby if Hollywood hadnn't.
Thankful it...

mistral 1.jpg mistral 2.jpg

Last edited:
@ Trap,
Yes It was Cousteau and Gagnan who invented the automatic demand regulator, the Aqualung or CG-45. Even Mike Nelson uses Aqualung/US Divers regulators in Sea Hunt pilots (there were two filmed). In the series he has switched to Voit (supplier of rubber diaphragms and hoses to US Divers), in exchange for the licensing of the Aqualung/US Divers regulators. It was television that allowed Mike Nelson to bring scuba and the underwater world to the average American's home and get a whole generation of people interested in diving. JY Cousteau while producing several oscar winning films about the underwater world, didn't start his US television series until 1966. So yes, Cousteau invented the sport, but Mike Nelson was its first mass promoter at least via the medium of television.

What about the GC42? In production before the CG45.

Also, I believe LePrieur was the first popularizer of the sport of SCUBA. It was with his units that the first European dive clubs were started in the 1930's.

I wrote an article about it here on page 5 (it's a free download dive photography magazine) Current Issue - PNW Diver Magazine

USdiver 1 wrote : So yes, Cousteau invented the sport, but Mike Nelson was its first mass promoter at least via the medium of television.

I wrote the same though I'm not good in English.. You have Hollywood machine ,it produced Mike Nelson so many Americans enjoy this hobby and these equipments wasn't supposed to be sold if not for Hollywood.

As far as the first scuba unit? That is debatable. I feel Gorge Commeninhes had the first scuba unit.
Some feel Leprieur did. Hasn Hass did it before Cousteu with rebreathers and the Italian frogmen did it before him.
As long as it underwater it all good.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom