da aquamaster diaphragm

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

1978davidw

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hello i was wondering if anyone on here has this same issue. I have a DA aquamaster and i bought the rebuild kit from vintage double hose. Good quality parts and after i installed them everything worked great. After about 3 months i put my reg on my tank and turned the pressure on and nothing on the second stage. after a struggle to get the reg off the tank with pressure still on it i disassembled it to find the piston on the first stage had sank into the diaphram causing it not to open. So i put in a new diaphram and then same thing again 3 months later. Are these diaphrams defective or is there some trick to make them last longer. It just seems they should last longer than 3 months.

Can you post some pictures of the diaphragm and the parts on both sides of it?
I am thinking there is something wrong with the mushroom looking pin holder or the other pad.

Have you compared all your parts with the ones on the diagrams?

yeah its the standard mushroom cap and the standard base under the spring. the rubber diaphram is compressing and the mushroom head is embedded into the diaphram

---------- Post added November 9th, 2015 at 05:22 PM ----------

Would it be possible that at some point my pin has been trimmed too short?

20151109_172121.jpg20151109_172206.jpg

yeah its the standard mushroom cap and the standard base under the spring. the rubber diaphram is compressing and the mushroom head is embedded into the diaphram

---------- Post added November 9th, 2015 at 05:22 PM ----------

Would it be possible that at some point my pin has been trimmed too short?

The OEM diaphragm also compresses/imprints. I suspect incorrect adjustment/parts/mixture of parts. The pin either being incorrect or too short or the wrong mushroom and pin combination. Might also determine for sure that you have the correct springs and crown block and seat.

Do not put silicone grease on these parts, the mushroom and the diaphragm.

N

i dont have any silicone on the parts. I think my pin may just be too short

Hello i was wondering if anyone on here has this same issue. I have a DA aquamaster and i bought the rebuild kit from vintage double hose. Good quality parts and after i installed them everything worked great. After about 3 months i put my reg on my tank and turned the pressure on and nothing on the second stage. after a struggle to get the reg off the tank with pressure still on it i disassembled it to find the piston on the first stage had sank into the diaphram causing it not to open. So i put in a new diaphram and then same thing again 3 months later. Are these diaphrams defective or is there some trick to make them last longer. It just seems they should last longer than 3 months.

I had the same result, but different cause with a DA aquamaster in aug. HP seat was replaced a few years back with repro seat from VDH. Used regularly for 3+ years. In Aug when mounted on tank there was no pressure at second stage. Was a beast to get off tank.
The HP pin had imbedded itself into the HP seat. Air pressure was able to get behind the nylon insert and extruded it out of seat closing off the flow of air.
3 other new repro seats failed within minutes of installation (nylon looked to be much to soft) the nylon mushroomed out of the seat.
Finally reinstalled used orig seat, all is good.

yeah not having a problem with the HP seat but i think im getting too much compression of the diaphram making my pin too short..or vice versa. I love diving with my reg but i never know if its gong to work when i hook it up..I need to get this thing more reliable so i can use it more.

---------- Post added November 10th, 2015 at 07:17 PM ----------

i guess i need to make me a small brass spacer to put unter the head of the pin about 1/16 high and see how that changes things.

i dont have any silicone on the parts. I think my pin may just be too short

Sounds like you have it figured out then. Good luck. N

thanks for the input . I was thinking this thing should last longer than 3 months without needing to replace the diaphragm.

---------- Post added November 11th, 2015 at 08:03 PM ----------

well i made a 1/16 thick shim placed it uner the pin in the mushroom head and fixed my problem right up.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom