Latest Vintage Gear Dive

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Turtleguy9

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
Aloha, my latest vintage dive was on June 24, at the Sea Tiger, here on Oahu. I dived my rebuilt Royal Aquamaster to 125 fsw, with a j valve tank 2250 psi.
Don't you just love the freedom not having a BCD, to slow you down? I sure surprised the Eagle Rays cruising the wreck, as I was right in with them, in nothing flat.
I will attach a few photos, enjoy.
Turtleguy

It was a great dive :D Looking at the pictures I started to wonder - since you don't have the BCD and a lighter tank.....how much weight did you need?

Very nice Turtleguy!

I'm curious - whats the snorkel you are using?

Well done!

ScoobieDooo:
Very nice Turtleguy!

I'm curious - whats the snorkel you are using?

Well done!
Good Eye Scoobie, sorry, its not vintage, its my work snorkel, a modern cheap j tube, by seasports. I just feel naked without a snorkel. I have loads of old ones, just not one with me that day.
Aloha Turtleguy

Hmm,
I have been seeking a simple, smooth-tubed snorkel.

I see where Omer has a new, silicone tube model freedivers use...

What thickness suit are you using, and how do you weight yourself? (Neutral at what depth) Back in the day I allways had an old Dacor vest, just for emergency flotation. Was figuring on using a SEATEC horsecollar I picked up for the same reason. Also to correct for compression on deeper dives with my 7mm.

I've seen a couple of vintage snorkels on Ebay lately. Personally I've got a Sportsways that's probably 36 years old.

ScoobieDooo:
Hmm,
I have been seeking a simple, smooth-tubed snorkel.

I see where Omer has a new, silicone tube model freedivers use...

Divers Direct sells a Sporasub Samurai snorkel. Simple, dark-colored, effective.

jamiep3:
What thickness suit are you using, and how do you weight yourself? (Neutral at what depth) Back in the day I allways had an old Dacor vest, just for emergency flotation. Was figuring on using a SEATEC horsecollar I picked up for the same reason. Also to correct for compression on deeper dives with my 7mm.
I was using a fairly new O'neil 3mm suit. Pretty much neutral at the surface with 14 lbs lead. As the tank, an older steel 72 became empty, I gained a bit of bouyancy. At most I figure I lose about 2 pounds bouyancy at depth, from wetsuit compression. I do have a few nice old vests, Voit, and US Divers, I guess I wanted to do the Mike Nelson look.
Aloha Turtleguy

I agree the streamlining and sense of speed and freedom is the best part of vintage diving. I have found that with my DA Aquamaster or Mistral and a hosecollar BC that I can go fast enough to make the double hoses vibrate in the slipstream. I think if more people experienced this and understood it, they would dive with a lot less junk hanging off them.

Back
Top Bottom