Alberta Lakes Will Thaw Soon!!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

PUGMASTER

Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hello all,

Not much around here on the forums about diving in Alberta. I've dove Lake Minnewanka by Banff and enjoy it. Brent from Diver Down in Calgary is a great guy, if anyone is interested in a tour.

I just can't wait till spring so I can get out there and explore.

Does anyone know of interesting sites/lakes around this province?:coffee:

Hello

We are actually from BC, if you feel like taking a drive over here, there is a lake called Pavillion Lake - an hour from Kamloops towards Squamish and Whistler - 1 out of the 3 freshwater coral lakes in the world (Right off the high way - caribbean ambiance waters, vis 60 - 70 ft). The other 2 being in Mexico and Nevada. We actually filmed a feature on it in our first DVD issue last summer. NASA is also doing extensive research on it, connecting it to the lakes on mars.

I also heard, not to sure if it is a rumor or not, somewhere in BC or Alberta or even in between, there is a sunken town. If you know where abouts it is, it would be interesting to dive it.

divezero:
Hello

We are actually from BC, if you feel like taking a drive over here, there is a lake called Pavillion Lake - an hour from Kamloops towards Squamish and Whistler - 1 out of the 3 freshwater coral lakes in the world (Right off the high way - caribbean ambiance waters, vis 60 - 70 ft). The other 2 being in Mexico and Nevada. We actually filmed a feature on it in our first DVD issue last summer. NASA is also doing extensive research on it, connecting it to the lakes on mars.

Pavillion is interesting indeed. We had Donnie Reid, diving officer for the Van Aquarium and for the Pavillion Lake NASA project, come and give a talk about it at our Divescapes show last April.

I also heard, not to sure if it is a rumor or not, somewhere in BC or Alberta or even in between, there is a sunken town. If you know where abouts it is, it would be interesting to dive it.

That is most likely to be Minnewanka.

PUGMASTER:
Hello all,

Not much around here on the forums about diving in Alberta. I've dove Lake Minnewanka by Banff and enjoy it. Brent from Diver Down in Calgary is a great guy, if anyone is interested in a tour.

I just can't wait till spring so I can get out there and explore.

Does anyone know of interesting sites/lakes around this province?:coffee:

Don't know Brent but the group I dive with usually has someone diving Minny every weekend during the summer. We usually do 2 hour+ dives and with the aid of scooters are able to cover both dams and the townsite.

divezero:
Hello

Now that's what I'm talking about !!:popcorn: Thanks, and yes I believe it's Minnewanka.
There's not much left of the town, posts and old roads you can follow but I still find it great. Silty bottom so you don't want to stir it up too much elsewise it's pretty clear. A cold lake though so be prepared. The dam on this lake is great diving too. If you Google Lake Minnewanka there's some good history reading as well.

nadwidny:
Don't know Brent but the group I dive with usually has someone diving Minny every weekend during the summer. We usually do 2 hour+ dives and with the aid of scooters are able to cover both dams and the townsite.

Hey there, just noticed you're from Edmonton/area. Ever dove any of the lakes around here? I have a summer resort at Lac Ste. Anne. Not much of a dive lake but I'll be diving it nevertheless, maybe find all those lost lures and my anchor out there.

What club are you out of?

PUGMASTER:
Hey there, just noticed you're from Edmonton/area. Ever dove any of the lakes around here? I have a summer resort at Lac Ste. Anne. Not much of a dive lake but I'll be diving it nevertheless, maybe find all those lost lures and my anchor out there.

I been in Twin (a lot), Forfar (few times) and Lac Sante (once). All pretty much the same.

What club are you out of?

It's a relatively informal club called "Pub Divers". No dues, no presidents, no bull... We meet whenever the mood strikes us (usually at the Boston Pizza downtown) and dive whenever we can. We're trying to get an ice dive in but it's been too cold. Next meeting is Feb 21. If you're interested in joining us I can send you a PM or email with details.

divezero:
Hello

the town was built on a marsh and sank for somereason i cant rember were it was or why it sank i just now that it was on a marsh and most of it sank or is still partly sunken..

Here is a question for you alberta boys!

I'll be heading over to your neck of the woods the first week of July. Planning a road trip from Edm -> Jasper -> banff and back to edmonton. As I'll be playing tour guide for my inlaws, I won't have much time to myself..... But.... do you think there is chance to sneak a dive in? are there any mountain lakes within that route I mentioned ?

Oh, and I'd need a recomendation on a dive shop so I can rent gear and so forth (my wife would kill me if I brought my gear on a 'family trip') :wink:

The Mushroom King:
Here is a question for you alberta boys!

I'll be heading over to your neck of the woods the first week of July. Planning a road trip from Edm -> Jasper -> banff and back to edmonton. As I'll be playing tour guide for my inlaws, I won't have much time to myself..... But.... do you think there is chance to sneak a dive in? are there any mountain lakes within that route I mentioned ?

Lots of lakes in the parks. IMHO the best dive in Jasper NP is backside of Horseshoe. Beauvert is good for a quick sneak and you can get some good golf balls. Annette is OK; Edith, give it a pass.The wreck in Patricia is good for a single tank as long as you dont' have to hump in but since that's pretty much the only way to do it give it a pass.

For Banff there is only one spot-Minnewanka. Everybody wants to dive the dam.

Oh, and I'd need a recomendation on a dive shop so I can rent gear and so forth (my wife would kill me if I brought my gear on a 'family trip') :wink:

Pretty much anybody in Edmonton except Aquatek. There are no shops in Jasper or Banff.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom