HMCS Annapolis

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

deepdiverbc

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
A friend and I volunteered for some work on the Annapolis last Sunday. It was a great experience and I recommend it. You get to know the ship and there is a lot of work to do so they can use the help.

If you're interested in helping out they are taking a break for the rest of October but will start up again in November.

The helicopter bay will be perfect for exploring an enclosed environment without the higher risk of actually entering the hull. There is also an exit door at the forward end of the bay that I think it is wide enough to make the bay a good swim through.

Here's some pics

Annapolis1.jpg

Annapolis2.jpg

Annapolis3.jpg

Sunday? Were you part of our crew?

Did we actually meet and not know who each other were?

Here's some of my pics from Sunday ...

Cheng likes what she sees as we approach the ship ...
CIMG0702.jpg

Sign at entrance to hangar ...
CIMG0721.jpg

I can't wait to dive in here ...
CIMG0724.jpg

Me and Cheng taking out insulation in the ops room ...
CIMG0734.jpg

Skip lends a helping hand ...
CIMG0741.jpg

I'm already making plans for a return trip ... hopefully the week-end of Nov 22/23 ... for a day of diving and a day of working ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Nice pic of the helicopter hanger.

My friend Doug and I were the ones wearing the hard hats and on the boat ride out I was the guy asking you about rebreathers vs open circuit doubles.

We were both impressed that you all drove up from Seattle to help. We'll probably help out again in November so maybe we'll run into each other.

BTW. You can get dust masks with breathing tubes in them that might not fog up the safety glasses. Maybe give that a try next time.

Eric

Nice pic of the helicopter hanger.

My friend Doug and I were the ones wearing the hard hats and on the boat ride out I was the guy asking you about rebreathers vs open circuit doubles.

We were both impressed that you all drove up from Seattle to help. We'll probably help out again in November so maybe we'll run into each other.

BTW. You can get dust masks with breathing tubes in them that might not fog up the safety glasses. Maybe give that a try next time.

Eric

Oh ... here's a pic of the two of ya ...

CIMG0735.jpg

Thanks for the tips ... hope to see you again ... maybe once she goes down we can arrange a dive together ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Just inside the hanger to the immediate right of where you took the picture looking forward is a hatch in the deck that leads below to the next deck down. That is the ready room for the aircrew. Exit that room via forward hatch (door) and you come out facing the dive locker, just to the right of that is the hatch leading down to 3 deck and the most used entry to the inside of the ship....

Man Bob your pictures bring memories!

Just inside the hanger to the immediate right of where you took the picture looking forward is a hatch in the deck that leads below to the next deck down. That is the ready room for the aircrew. Exit that room via forward hatch (door) and you come out facing the dive locker, just to the right of that is the hatch leading down to 3 deck and the most used entry to the inside of the ship....

Man Bob your pictures bring memories!

Chris ... I hope you get out to dive it ... and if you do, I'd like to join you.

I plan to get up there a few more times before they sink her ... I'll use this thread to post more pics as I get the chance.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Oh ... here's a pic of the two of ya ...
Thanks for the tips ... hope to see you again ... maybe once she goes down we can arrange a dive together ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

I think Cheng took that pic of us. Make sure to thank her for me.

I would definitely like to join a dive with you when the ship is down. Of course when Doug and I dive with our single tanks we don't have the same bottom time as doubles or a rebreather but we do fairly well on Nitrox especially if we stick to more moderate depths on the main or upper decks.

Awesome pictures everybody. I'd love to be able to add a few of the pictures to my diving in British Columbia website - would that be ok?

We have started a sign-up list for those wanting more information as it becomes available or for those wanting to get on a waiting list to be on one of the first charters to dive her. If you're interested, have a look at :

HMCS Annapolis is Sinking

Cheers - happy diving.

Sunday? Were you part of our crew?

Did we actually meet and not know who each other were?

lol, that's priceless. Unless you think to ask, are you on scubaboard you may never know who you are working with.

I have been out 2 times and will be going back. It is a day of worthwhile work which is fun.

I encourage all the local divers to get out at least once becasue we are the ones that are going to be diving her. Also, to have that feeling that I help prep this ship so we can dive it is a good feeling especially when you are on it 80' below the water looking at it or even inside it.

There are lots more pictures of the Annapolis on their Facebook page.

And when out there, there is lots of time to look around the ship.

I've arranged another work day on Nov. 23rd for our little group. Looking for a charter on the previous day (Saturday Nov. 22nd). Apparently the Sea Dragon's unavailable ... any locals want to recommend a local dive charter? We're targeting a group of 8 ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom