Dec. 18, 2009 Ten Mile Pt. photos with new fisheye lens

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MarkH

Contributor
Reaction score
So as the title says, I went to Ten Mile to try out a new 8mm fisheye lens (no-name brand). It gives a 180-degree angle of view so that's about as wide as a lens gets. This is great for faking good visibility. On this dive, vis was only about 15 feet, but you wouldn't know it from the photos. The only problem is that the lens is so wide, you can see the edges of the dome port in the corners of the photos. I'll have to try and reposition the camera in the housing to see if I can minimise that. I also tried out some new home-made dry gloves. They worked great. -No leaks so far. I also tried out some old Force Fins I had lying around, just for fun. It actually wasn't that fun. I felt like I wasn't wearing fins at all. I had to swim with my arms half the time, just to feel like I was moving forward. It's a good thing there wasn't any current.
IMG_1840.jpg

IMG_1856.jpg

IMG_1857.jpg

IMG_1862.jpg

IMG_1866.jpg

IMG_1871.jpg

IMG_1873.jpg

IMG_1882.jpg

IMG_1883.jpg

IMG_1896.jpg

Cool pictures, the best part is that you found my long lost bong.

Al

The funny thing, is that the bong was full of silt, so when I was holding it, the clouds of silt were coming out of the hole and it looked like smoke. I tried to get a picture of it, but it wasn't cooperating. And about the urchin thing, we have plenty of urchins and plenty of kelp as well so I don't think those big purple/red ones are the culprits in clearcutting kelp forests. Most of them live below the kelp line anyway. Most urchin barrens I see in photos have those smaller, pale green urchins hanging around. -Although I see plenty of them around here too and there's still no shortage of kelp.

Nice try pretending you "found" that bong. It also explains the "distortion" in your pics. Fish eye indeed...

I certainly appreciate your photographic abilities Marc. I took a bunch of pics today only to find out later I'd forgotten to turn my ^%%$#^ slave flash on. Doh!

How'd you rig up the dry gloves Mark? I have an old suit that my boy will inherit soon and I'd like to put dry gloves on it for him.

Also, instead of folding over the glove and using contact cement, I just turned the glove inside-out. I also used a few wraps of electrical tape instead of the Vaccum belts to hold on the gloves. For inner gloves, I used thinsulate-lined knit wool (I think) gloves. You can get them at some dollar-stores. They have long cuffs at the wrists and I put them on before putting my arms in the suit. The suit's latex seals go over the inner gloves so it allows for air-equalization between the gloves and suit. If a glove starts leaking too badly, I'll just pull it off and pull out the inner glove cuff so the latex seal can seal against my wrist again. I have a pair of neoprene gloves in my BC pocket to put on underwater if I need to. I don't know how easy they'd be to put on at depth with the compression though.

Nice try pretending you "found" that bong. It also explains the "distortion" in your pics. Fish eye indeed...

I certainly appreciate your photographic abilities Marc. I took a bunch of pics today only to find out later I'd forgotten to turn my ^%%$#^ slave flash on. Doh!

There was a tiny crab living in it. He was wearing a top hat and kept yelling at me to put it down. It was very "Alice in Wonderland".

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom