Senanus Island sponges

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Skookumchuck

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
In June I bought an inexpensive video camera and not so inexpensive Ikelite housing for it to record an upcoming warm water trip. I knew that I wouldn't get very good results in our water without even more expensive lights but used it to record one dive at Tuwanek and then brought it on a trip to the Island. R2t, Walrus2 and myself had planned to dive Race rocks with Ogden Point charters but the wind was blowing to hard and the plan was changed to Senanus Island in the Inlet. Our first dive was very good, vis was more than 50' and after first thinking that Erin had put us in the wrong spot we dropped over the wall at 80' and began to see sponges. Our second dive was up Finlayson arm at McCurdy Point and I got what I hoped was decent footage of a wolf-eel, footage that I thought I'd never see because right after taking it I lost the camera. We searched for a short while but gave up soon. I left my number with local shops on the long shot that it might be found. Two months later, after long having given up faint hope, Al, "Hyperlimits" pm's me that someone found a camera. I call the guy and sure enough its mine. His Mom found it while walking her dog at Willis Point, not sure how far that is from McCurdy Point but a long way. He called all the local dive shops, including Erin's, but no one knew who owned it. Thankfully the day after I lost it I dove with Swankenstien and bumped into Al at, wouldn't you know it, Willis point, and told him about my act of idiocy. Thanks Al.
The video without lights is poor and the camera came with editing software that requires the patience of a saint to use. Since my beatification is some way off yet the video is mostly unedited. YouTube - Senanus Island cloud sponges I'll try to edit the McCurdy Point video before I post it.

That's some good luck! I had a Race Rocks trip blown out as well and declined to go to the sponge dive and dove the breakwater instead - it's nice to see what I missed and considering the story behind the video it's nice to see it at all!

I was surprised how bright the video was considering the depth. I still find it bizzare that your camera would wash up at another dive site on the opposite side of Saanich Inlet. I wonder if someone found it elsewhere and was taking it for a dive at Willis Point to test the housing and lost it again.

I was wondering what you were up to.
That's some glove squeeze on Peter btw.

I guess I'm still so happy how warm those gloves are compared to the wet gloves I used to use I don't care about glove squeeze much :) I'll bring my straws when I go ice diving this winter.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom