A Thanksgiving Tale - Don't Let the Turkeys Get You Down

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MXGratefulDiver

Mental toss flycoon
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
My latest trip to Nootka Sound turned into a case study of how many things can go wrong on a dive trip and still end up being a fantastic time. I’d planned this trip over the four-day Thanksgiving week-end, thinking to drive up on Thanksgiving day, dive on Friday and Saturday, and come home on Sunday. There would be four of us on the trip – myself and my dive buddy Sandra Herrera, and our friends Larry and Kathy Collison.

The theme for this trip started a few days before we were to leave, when the weather turned unseasonably cold and stormy, dumping several inches of snow on the ground and rocking the region with high winds. On Monday evening the power went out at my home, and didn’t come on again until Tuesday morning. Temperatures that night dropped down into the mid-teens, and spending a night shivering in my house resulted in a nasty cold just a day before we were leaving. Determined to give it a try anyway, I dosed myself Wednesday night and went to bed early … prepared for a 3 am wakeup the next day, to be on the road by 4.

Just before I’d turned in for the night, Sandra had called. She was concerned about the weather report for Thursday, and thinking that a 375 mile trip in a snowstorm probably wasn’t a very good idea. We talked about it and decided to go ahead and give it a try. And sure enough, when I got up the next morning the snow was coming down and there was already 3 more inches of snow in my driveway and on the roads. Determined to not let it deter me, I packed the car and headed north, picking up Sandra and meeting with Larry and Kathy a few miles up the road. They live in Arlington, and needed tire chains to make it out of their driveway. We anticipated that it might be a very long day, but all of us really wanted this trip … so off we went.

The trip to the border really wasn’t all that bad. As we drove north the snow slacked off to flurries, and the roads were reasonable enough to make decent time. We arrived at the border around 7 am … a bit later than anticipated … and after a quick conference decided to head for Horseshoe Bay rather than Tsawassan, because that would give us an hour and a half to make the ferry rather than the 40 minutes we were facing if we stuck to our original plan. But what we hadn’t considered is that Thanksgiving isn’t a holiday in Canada, and so between the icy roads and the commuter traffic it took us a bit over two hours to make it to the ferry terminal … we missed our ferry and would be on the next later one than we’d planned for.

Once on Vancouver Island, the trip was fairly uneventful with only minor slowdowns to make our way around snowplows as we headed up the highway to Campbell River and along the winding mountain road to Gold River. My biggest concern was the last 40 miles of the trip, on the unpaved logging road that eventually took us to Tahsis. But once over the pass, the west side of the mountains proved to be completely clear of snow. Ironic that the best road conditions of the whole trip were the part I’d been most worried about. We pulled into Tahsis around 5:30 pm … tired but glad to have finally made it.

We stopped at the dive shop, settled into the house we were renting, and as we were unpacking the cars Larry discovered one of his tires was going flat. Oh well, if it’s going to happen, the timing couldn’t have been better. We quickly settled in, Larry got the tire changed, and we were off to meet with Scott and Jude – the dive op owners – who were treating us to a traditional Thanksgiving dinner at the local pub. Sue, the woman who runs the pub, was all warm smiles as she greeted us … making us feel like we were at home celebrating our holiday with family. It was small-town hospitality at its finest. But the long day and my continuing battle with a cold had gotten the best of me, and by the time dinner was over all I wanted was a dose of decongestants and a warm bed … tomorrow would bring what it brought, and I’d worry then whether or not I’d be able to dive. I went back to the house, crawled into bed and passed out.

The next day I woke up feeling somewhat better, although the cold had settled into my chest and I could barely talk. We hooked up with Scott on the boat at 9’ish and headed out for our first dive at Mozino Point. The dive plan was for Sandra and I to head down to about 180 … me on my doubles and her on her rebreather … to check out the gorgonian corals that this site is so famous for. She had never seen them before. She and I would hit the water first, and if it turned out I couldn’t clear she would join Larry and Kathy at recreational depths, while I returned to the boat. But as it turned out, my ears and sinuses were fine and so we proceeded downslope toward the corals. Everything went fine until we got to about 160 feet. At that point two things occurred … we encountered a ripping current and Sandra signaled that something was wrong with her rebreather and we needed to turn around. Oh my goodness … we’d reached the top of the wall where the gorgonians started getting thick. I could shine my light down another 20 feet and see our goal. But we weren’t going … I know Sandra well enough to know she wouldn’t turn the dive lightly. And she must have seen the disappointment in my eyes, because she shined her light on a smallish gorgonian nearby and indicated that I should take some pictures before we headed back up. As we had talked about beforehand, she positioned herself off to the side so I could have a model in the picture. I snapped off about a half-dozen quick shots, and fortunately a couple of them turned out quite OK.

IMG_9023.jpg

The remainder of our dive was uneventful as we proceeded upslope, and with the shortened dive plan our deco was minimal. This proved to be fortunate, as the current continued to build as the dive proceeded. I was totally surprised by how much current there was, because we were on the very front-end of a four-foot exchange, and had timed our dive almost perfectly with slack. But by the time we surfaced it was running quite a bit stronger than I wanted to deal with, and I was glad for the live boat pickup.

But Mr. Murphy wasn’t done with us yet. As we were handing up equipment in preparation for boarding the boat, Sandra dropped her bailout bottle and it quickly sank to the bottom. Scott hurriedly pressed the GPS to mark the spot and we proceeded to board the boat. As I readied my SMB to drop on the spot where it went down, Larry and Kathy surfaced, and Larry volunteered to go back down and see if he could find the bottle. Meanwhile I dropped my spool with a 5-lb weight attached and the inflated SMB at the spot where Scott had marked. But before I could get in the water to follow it down the current pulled the bag under the surface. This isn’t how it’s supposed to work. A few minutes later, Larry surfaced with Sandra’s bottle, which he’d found at about 70 feet. I asked about the SMB and he looked at me and said “Is that what that weight with the line was?” He saw it, but didn’t think to bring it up. Oh well … bags aren’t all that expensive to replace. I wrote it off as lost.

Sandra meanwhile had told me that something on her rebreather felt loose and the unit had been flopping around on her back, which is why she’d turned the dive. Taking the back cover off the unit, she discovered that the mount on one of the two bolts that holds the unit to her backplate was broken, and the two pieces were basically pivoting on the remaining bolt. The unit was functioning fine, but it wasn’t very stable. Nor was it field- fixable. So Scott took us back to the shop and set her up with a recreational rig for the rest of the trip … our planned tech dive for the next day wasn’t going to happen. Nor would we, on this trip, make it down to where the big gorgonians were. Oh well … there’s still plenty of excellent diving to be had … we’ll just go where we can.

Our second dive of the day was back at one of my favorite sites from my previous trip … Shark Point. This site’s great for macro, and there was a big rock down at about 70 feet that was completely covered in sponges and anemones. That was our planned destination. But getting there proved problematic. We dropped into a crystal-clear aquarium on the back side of the point … there was no current at all. Ah, this is more like it. But as soon as we dropped down to depth and headed toward our chosen destination the water flowing around the other side of the point just tossed us around like toys. So we turned back into the lee side and played in the eddy for the rest of the dive. It was still a great dive, and I managed to get a couple nice shots of these tiny, colorful sculpins. I love these guys … they practically posed for me.

IMG_9040.jpg

IMG_9045.jpg

That night I cooked dinner for the crew and turned in early. I was still feeling awful, but was so thankful that I had been able to get in the dives. It seemed that no matter what went wrong on this trip it was destined to turn out alright.

(Part 2 to come)

The next day we awoke to a bright, sunny day … after a week of nasty weather it seemed like we were finally catching a break. The snow on the surrounding mountains was just gleaming, making it feel more like a day on the slopes than a day on the dive boat. How often do you get to see something like this from a dive boat?

IMG_0507.jpg

We headed back to Mozino Point. My spirits were high despite the fact that the cold had settled so firmly into my chest that I could barely talk. And as we rounded the point, I had to laugh … there, sitting in perfectly calm water, was my SMB. I used the boat hook to bring it aboard and pull up the weight that had kept it there from the previous day. Sometimes Mr. Murphy cuts you a break.

We splashed into beautiful, clear water … from 40 feet I looked up and pointed out to Sandra that you could see the lighthouse. It was glorious. We headed downslope to about 100 feet, where I wanted to find some of the larger cloud sponges and get a couple pictures. Oddly, there was no current at all until we got down to about 90 feet … then it hit us like a river. We made it to the sponges, I snapped off a few shots, and we decided we didn’t really want to work that hard and headed back upslope … spending the majority of our dive between 70 and 40 feet … in practically no current at all. Fortunately, I did manage to get some pictures that I liked during our brief sojourn into the sponges.

IMG_9054.jpg

IMG_9071.jpg

Our second and final dive proved to be everyone’s favorite … at a site called Boulder Alley. I had assured Sandra that whatever the current was doing wouldn’t matter at this site. We’d just go with the flow. There was one “must see” on the list … a house-sized boulder at between 60 and 90 feet that was covered in boot sponges … almost every one of which provided a home to a fish, crab, or other critter. We arrived at the site to find the surface current heading in the opposite direction from what we were expecting … WTF is going on this week? First off, with four-foot exchanges, there just shouldn’t be that much current. And now it’s not even going in the proper direction! OK … so we’ll go with the flow … I asked Scott to drop us off at the opposite end of the site, where we normally exit. We’ll just flow the other direction. So we dropped into beautiful vis, sunlight dappling the rocks down as far as the eye can see. Awesome, amazing visibility. We swim down about 30 feet … and the current reverses! Now it’s going the “correct” direction … but we’re on the wrong side of the site to take advantage of it. I’m determined to get us to that rock … so here we go again, fighting current for all we’re worth, hugging rocks, and pulling ourselves along whenever there’s a bare enough patch of rock to grab ahold of. Fortunately, there’s plenty of that at this site. Finally, we made it … and ducking into the lee of a rock bigger than my house we were able to relax and enjoy the scenery. We spent a few minutes circling around peering into sponges … and seeing eyes peering back out at us …

IMG_9094.jpg

Then we let the current take us back in the direction from which we came. Suddenly Sandra signals that she’s found something. I could tell from the emphasis of the signal that she was excited … it was a Puget Sound king crab that had just molted … the old shells were lying next to him, and the colors of the new shell were just brilliant.

IMG_9097.jpg

We took a few pictures and continued on our way. A couple minutes later, she signaled again … and there was a beautifully-colored dendronotid nudibranch … fringes waving in the breeze.

IMG_9100.jpg

We found several more noteworthy things on that dive, which proved to be our most relaxing, despite the first few minutes. At the end of the dive, Kathy and Larry came up all excited about having found a tri-color nudibranch they’d never seen before. I’d been looking for one on every dive, knowing that they were here … but still haven’t seen one.

The ride back to the dock was relaxing, exciting, and satisfying … we’d gotten the dives we came here for … all the little visits from Mr. Murphy hadn’t put a damper on our spirits, and every little thing that had gone wrong had a rainbow at the end of it. These are the times we live for, as the smiles on my dive buddies faces clearly showed …

IMG_0514.jpg

That night over dinner we shared pictures, impressions and excitement with each other as we made plans for another trip to Nootka Sound in the spring. We packed and prepared for an early departure in the morning, hoping to make the 10:30 am ferry out of Nanaimo. But it was not meant to be … Mr. Murphy wasn’t done with us yet.

Our trip over the summit and along the mountain road into Campbell River proved uneventful … and in fact, once the sun came up it was just downright pretty. But as we stopped for gas in Campbell River, Sandra noticed a hissing coming from my right rear tire. Oh for goodness sakes … another flat. My spare tire is a donut, and I really didn’t want to risk a 275 mile trek home from here on one of those, so we spent the next 20 minutes or so looking for a place in Campbell River to get a flat fixed. Believe it or not, nobody’s open in that town on a Sunday who can fix a flat tire. But as we were giving up and heading back to the highway, Sandra noticed someone walking into a Big-O Tire store … despite the big CLOSED ON SUNDAY sign on the door. We pulled in and knocked on the door to get the man’s attention. It turned out to be an employee who had stopped by just for a moment to pick something up. But after listening to our situation, he said he’d open a bay door and help us out … so 20 minutes later we were leaving with a repaired tire and heading the 100 miles to Nanaimo. We’d miss our ferry again, but the next one was only two hours later. Honestly, after the lucky break at the tire store, we didn’t care. If anything, it just made us feel luckier that we happened to be passing by at just the right moment to find the only person in town who could’ve helped us.

Our ferry crossing was lovely, with sun on the water and snow-covered peaks in the background. And once on the mainland we made good time to the border where, as luck would have it, we had no wait at all. It was the easiest border crossing ever … less than a minute. Perhaps Mr. Murphy was done with us at last.

Or perhaps not … a mile or so from Sandra’s house the road was closed, and we had to take an alternate route to get to her home. But get there we did … laughing about how many things can go wrong and still turn out to be a fantastic time.

And I guess that’s really a pretty good thing to ponder for a Thanksgiving week-end. Someone once said that in the end you’re only as happy as you decide to be. This trip we were so determined to go, to have a great time, and to come home excited about the things we experienced … and despite Mr. Murphy’s constant attention, that’s just what we did.

And sometimes, it’s all those little things that you have to deal with that make our experiences worth remembering.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Really nice pictures. Hard core divers.

Great story and fantastic pics!!!
It sounds like you really had the right attitude on this one. It could have been a very different story if you hadn't "decided to be happy." I hope next year's trip is much less eventful.

Thanks for sharing.

Great story and attitude! The photos are great too (especially the longfin sculpin images!). Better luck next time, Bob.

Lee

Back
Top Bottom