I'm moving to Esquimalt :-)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Safety Stop

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I'm moving this summer to Esquimalt BC and want to know if there a lot of dive club? Definitly, I will need buddies to show me were I can get wet :)

Twin Diver

Surprisingly there are very few active "dive clubs" in the Victoria area. Perhaps there's a club run through CFB Esquimalt (I'm assuming you're military and transferring to the base in Esquimalt). Hang out for a bit in any of the local dive shops and you'll meet all kinds of people to dive with.

Your're right, I'm military :) For sure, I'll hang around diveshops to meet peoples. Myself, I'm a very active diver in our cold environement here in Saguenay, Quebec and I'm assuming that the wather is not warmer on your side :)

Slightly warmer, I'd think, but still cold enough that drysuit is generally the way to go. Way more life probably. You'll likely enjoy it more than Quebec diving. But I'm a little biased here.

You seem familiar with the drill for meeting buddies. Visit a dive shop, ask around, do drop-in dives that dive shops may hold, go on a few charters, exchange phone numbers.

I was the pres of the Esquimalt (Aquarius) dive club a few years ago, a very active club, an awesome boat, portable compressor, club house and a full range of gear. They have access to military areas that others do not. Also, Frank Whites do free DM led local dives every Saturday, a great way to meet dive buddies and discover the many local dive sites. I spent 10 years there and thousands of dives, many are world class. Enjoy!

I owned a Dive Shop in the Vancouver area for a few years and ran charters to the Gulf Islands weekly. I brought my dry suit from Ontario, but found it just too warm for most dives. I suppose people feel cold differently, but I prefer the feeling of getting wet. :) You'll find the diving awesome. Good luck with your new posting!

I just joined the Aquarius Dive Club on FB so that's a start. Drysuit is the way to go for me... especialy with 34 F water temp in my area ;-)

Esquimalt's water temperature is currently 49 F. The statistics indicate that between 1981-2005 the lowest recorded sea temperature was 46 F (7.6 °C), So you'll be dealing with much warmer water than your use to.

Wayne

Yes :)

esquimalt's water temperature is currently 49 f. The statistics indicate that between 1981-2005 the lowest recorded sea temperature was 46 f (7.6 °c), so you'll be dealing with much warmer water than your use to.

Wayne

Ya, pretty much 46-48 year round. Sometimes surface warmer at Mckenzie bight. I'll be moving back permanently soon and can't wait to see my old dive spots.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom