Best way to dive Browning Pass ...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CAPTAIN SINBAD

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Fellows: I may end up making a trip to West Coast Canada this year with the sole purpose of diving the Browning Pass. So far I have looked at two options and one is on board Nautilus Swell while the other is a rustic resort called Browning Pass Hideaway.

I have no idea how big the browning pass dive area is or how far apart these two operations would be taking the divers. Would a liveaboard have access to better dive sites than a land-based operation? I love drifting through scenery on a liveaboard and I also do not mind a camp-style setting that is bare minimum in terms of luxury. My feeling is that while Hideaway advertises 4 dives / day, the last two dives will be in the same area.

Id love to hear from people who have done Nautilus or Hideaway. If there are other better ways to dive the same area, then I would love to head about those as well.

Cheers -

CS

Just booked with Browning Pass Hideaway yesterday. I've never dove there but I've never heard anything bad about the operation. It's rustic and that appeals to me, the food is reported to be great and I know the diving is fantastic.
I've had the pleasure of staying at Gods Pocket ten years ago. Great food, boat and hosts. Same diving, same sites just different accomedations and so priced accordingly.

Just booked with Browning Pass Hideaway yesterday. I've never dove there but I've never heard anything bad about the operation. It's rustic and that appeals to me, the food is reported to be great and I know the diving is fantastic.
I've had the pleasure of staying at Gods Pocket ten years ago. Great food, boat and hosts. Same diving, same sites just different accomedations and so priced accordingly.

Just out of curiosity if you had a good experience with God's Pocket why would you not go back with them? Not that there is anything wrong with Hideaway I'm just wondering what motivated your decision to change.

I would add God's Pocket to the choices and would probably be my first choice, with Swell as a very close second. (Only because I have a boat and can spend as much time on the local waters as I want.) All three are very close to the dive sites. Have only been to Hideaway. Rustic/camping describes it and it is priced accordingly. Accomodations and meals are basic. Dive skiffs are also very basic. John does know the area like the back of his hand and knows where and when to dive. The others do as well, but John has been around for longer.

Swell was parked in the pass on one of the trips, we passed by it several times on the way to and from dives. A much more upscale option. Same applies to Gods Pocket, much more upscale. Likely will be my choice the next trip. My tolerance for basic is not the same as it has been in the past.

Hideaway offers up to 4 dives - if someone wants to go out and it is possible to dive John will take you out. My understanding is that Gods Pocket only offers three boat dives a day and the option of diving from the dock at night. While this sounds like a significant difference it really isn't. Mostly the night dive at Hidaway is done at the entrance to Clam Cove which is a great dive, but not particularly different than a dive off the dock at Gods Pocket. Not sure what Swell does. Personally I can't do four dives a day in those waters any more. Well I can, but I just don't want to.

All three dive the same spots and all three are so close to the Pass that there really is no difference from that perspective. The choice is amenities. Gods Pocket and Swell are upscale resorts with the service that you would expect. Hideaway, not so much, but it is interesting.

I've been to God's Pocket twice, the Hideaway once but haven't been back since they "upgraded" the facilities. But, quite frankly, I won't go back to the Hideaway because God's Pocket is so far superior in every way in my opinion.

As far as I can tell, the Swell dives the same places as you would from G.P. or the Hideaway. Since the dive rides from shore are so short, I can't see any advantage to being on the Swell.

I can't think of a single bad thing to say about the God's Pocket operation -- the food is fabulous, the people are great, the boat is absolutely first class -- AND IT HAS A LIFT FOR GETTING OUT OF THE WATER!!!!! -- the rooms are warm and comfortable and you can even have some nice hikes on land if you want or go kayaking depending on the weather.

John, at the Hideaway, is a very nice person and knows the area extremely well -- but the "rustic" facilities just aren't the quality of G.P. (no where NEAR the quality); the boat is no where near the quality of G.P.; the experience just doesn't make it.

BTW, the water is cold and I wouldn't consider doing any more than the 3 dives/day you do at G.

Here is a link to my album of pics of the first trip to God's Pocket:

God's Pocket

The scene out my window at G.P.:

Harbor_Sunset.jpg

I just need to add that Browning Wall, as well as other nearby dives such as Seven Tree island, Eagle Rock, Nakwakto Rapids, etc. are all spectacular dive sites and well worth the trip to Port Hardy! There are many amazing dives within about 10-15 minutes of each other, and are all close to Gods Pocket and the Hideaway.

Thanks a lot folks. Great info. Nautilus Swell is actually a hundred dollars cheaper than the Hideaway so if it is more upscale then it seems a better choice.

Just out of curiosity if you had a good experience with God's Pocket why would you not go back with them? Not that there is anything wrong with Hideaway I'm just wondering what motivated your decision to change.
No reason to switch from Gods Pocket. I was a happy customer, but if I can dive the Hideaway twice a year as opposed to once at GP then that's all I need to switch unless there's a reason I don't know about yet. My idea of exploring includes topside sites and people too. As far as the Hideaway being rustic I seriously doubt if it's anywhere near as rustic as some of my other interests. Valet service is wasted on me.

I have stayed at Hideaway and Gods Pocket . There is obviously a reason for the huge gap in price . Bottom line , best diving you will see anywhere if you are prepared for the cold water . Here is Hideaway ...P9090243.jpg

I've done God's Pocket and the Hideaway (albeit before some upgrades). I LOVED God's Pocket. The people are warm, friendly, and reliable. The facility is well constructed and safe (unlike walking across icy planks with no handrails to get from raft to raft). The food is FABULOUS. There is adequate hot water and showers for all. Bill knows his sites and is excellent with the boat, and the elevator is simply wonderful.

All three operators are going to get you to the same sites. Some are simply more comfortable than others.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom