advice on diving the Cut @ Whytecliff

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

GulfIslanderDiver

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I have only dived the Cut once...we went in, turned right and followed the wall down and to the North. I understand the marker in front is a good dive and wanted some advice on how to dive it ( as I believe one side has far more life than the other..).

Thanks..

Hi GulfIslander,

Both sides are good, but if you go left and come around the point and back into the bay, you swim by the anemone gardens around the day marker. You can go deep to see the cloud sponges, then follow your NDLs up to swing by the anemones and see the rockfish. Just watch the current - it can get fairly fierce around the day marker.

Be sure to gear up and hit the water at slack tide. Currents can be very very strong at the DayMarker & Cut, and can be unsettling for new divers. You want to be back in the bay before slack ends. If you have the current behind you, enjoy the ride but be mindful that you will have to swim against the current to get back. If you start the dive and you are finning into the current and it is tough going, turn around - no point fighting it. Both the DayMarker and the Cut are awesome dives! Watch your depth and your buoyancy control, because you can get very deep very quick. Enjoy.

Back
Top Bottom