Lion's Bay Marina: Dive Report

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

FishLovingStudent

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Just did a dive at the Lions Bay Marina. Very interesting dive site...a lot of what is present is indicative of a site with minimal disturbance. I'm posting mainly because there is little info on this site.

The left side (if you are facing the water, entry via ramp) is sandy bed->rock piles down to around 60~80fsw with alternating rocks and sand beds. My favourite type of site. Visibility was good for the most part, 20-30'. A lot of the usual. Big schools of perch and tube snouts. Painted&Kelp Greenlings, Copper&Quillback Rockfish. Some utterly humongous and FAT lingcod. Giant, Leopard, Gold Rimmed, and Heaths nudibranches. Spiny lithod crab...a good collection of critters.

A fish of note, found two Tiger Rockfish. Both scurried into their den before I could get a good shot. Also...if anybody remembers Dale's post on this site, it looks like there is a resident tailed jelly :rolleyes:
[video=youtube;QXrrFrC6qBE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QXrrFrC6qBE&feature=youtu.be[/video]

The right side (entry via beach) is much more shallow, the rocky part is around 20-30fsw, sandy slope down. A few more cryptic species, a pipefish, gunnel, lg.sculpin and poacher. Found some strange dumped cables, or do they serve a purpose?

Might take another visit before the Marina opens and boating season is back in. As always with Lion's Bay, if you decide to take a visit be polite and avoid anything that might peeve the locals. The woman at the repairshop was very nice though :)
Image8.jpgImage7.jpgImage10.jpgImage33.jpgImage37.jpgImage44.jpgImage51.jpgImage52.jpg

Thank you for posting, I have wanted to try this dive site for a while. Hopefully will get around to it sometime... I am a creature of habit though so... might not be until next winter. :)

Can you advise as to where to park, etc.?

Back
Top Bottom