Amazing opportunity for any divers in Vancouver

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi guys,
Just wanted to share something with you that I feel is extremely important and definitely worth taking 5 minutes to take a look at. The Vancouver Surf-riders Foundation is looking to consolidate the efforts of MULTIPLE diver organizations into a network of people dedicated to local reef and beach cleanups.

This is also a fantastic opportunity for everyone, especially anyone looking for a buddy, or a group of people to dive with. If this is successful we will be doing monthly cleanups, potentially more!

If you are free on February the 21st I highly recommend giving the organization and the event a look. If you are interested it is important that we all take just 5 minutes to register (completely free of charge and a very simple "fill in and submit" process). The goal that the Project Manager is aiming for is to have people register within the next few days and not put it off.

Because he says there are some really good opportunities coming up VERY SOON, and expresses urgency because the events that are coming up are extremely important to the community. There are also no fees to participate in the events, which makes it a no-brainer to register immediately if you want to participate with your fellow divers.

Please register immediately and contact me if you have any questions.
Respective links are as follows:

Registration form:

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/18T...aG-3rEoVE/viewform?c=0&w=1&usp=mail_form_link

Vancouver Surfriders Website:

Surfrider Foundation Vancouver

Cheers, and hope to see you there!
Dalton

I took a look at the registration form and have to say, to be completely honest, I would not be interested in it at all. We have been doing regional splash for trash events for years without having to submit our entire dive history to some oversight committee. I don't need someone to vet me for that. Way too controlling for a very simple activity.

Good luck anyway.

I took a look at the registration form and have to say, to be completely honest, I would not be interested in it at all. We have been doing regional splash for trash events for years without having to submit our entire dive history to some oversight committee. I don't need someone to vet me for that. Way too controlling for a very simple activity.

Good luck anyway.

Interesting way to attempt to get volunteers.

From the registration document: "Oxygen will be provided (free of charge) by a sponsor. "

Why do you need oxygen? If you mean air or tanks full of air then I worry that you're qualified to manage divers. If you do supply oxygen then don't let the divers go below 20 feet deep.

Thank you all very much for all the feed back guys! I'll run this by the form writer and let him know of said recommendations! From what i understood we are wanting a bit of divers history to make sure we are pairing comparable divers with each other, so as to not have a conflict of dive plans, or to pair divers with a disparity in experience!

This is a learning process for all on the team as few of us have arranged such an event before.

...... as for the whole "oxygen" thing the proofreader must have been hungover as I really have no explanation for that.

Any and all suggestions for how to make this a more accessible and ultimately more pleasant and successful are very much welcomed and appreciated!
Cheers!

I seems like a very onerous "registration". The AUC here in Alberta hosts clean-ups all through the Province.

Requirements are simple: Bring your certification, sign the waiver, no "solo" diving at their events. Simple.

I think it's good for divers to participate in pollution awareness/cleanup. It's good for the image of the sport and it's good for individuals to experience first hand how much junk people throw in the water.

I also think that it should be sponsored. Shops in the Netherlands do this on a fairly regular basis, taking tonnes of trash like discarded bicycles out of canals, but shops organise it, they often fly the PADI Aware flag and volunteers are not asked to donate a urine sample to get involved (which is how the above form reads to me. First you have to read the ranting manifest and then answer a LOT of completely irrelevant questions that look like you're signing up to receive marketing spam).

It's got to come over a LOT more as something grassroots than this in order to get people interested in "doing something for the right reasons".

Basically, your form needs to say, "lets get the hell out there and hug some trees"..... not "give me all your personal details and maybe you will be allowed to take part if we authorize it"

R..

... then answer a LOT of completely irrelevant questions that look like you're signing up to receive marketing spam).

That was my impression...they are "mining" for information for something else

Hey guys,
Thanks again for the suggestions! We are currently working on streamlining the form to make it more accessible to everyone!
I'd like to assure you guys this is not a scam, just a relatively small group of people making their first attempt at arranging something like this! The project manager has a history in statistics and as such is approaching the project from such an angle. Besides the length of the form and the information required therein, is there any more suggestions on how to make this better?
Cheers,
and thanks a ton!

Back
Top Bottom