Tipping question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ferretchen

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I know that tipping is a subject that has been discussed to death, but I was unable to find the answer to my situation. I don't want to be an ingrate but I don't want to pay more than necessary.

I don't like to dive solo and was without a buddy, so I hired a dive guide just for myself. I paid $100/day through a local shop on Vancouver Island and we had some great shore dives over two days. The man was one of the most professional I've encountered, and I was very satisfied. However, I don't know what is expected. With other types of service, it is not typical (where I live anyway) to tip the owner or prime contractor; you only tip his people. I am not sure what to do in this case, as the dive shop hired the guide on my behalf - he's not a shop employee really, and I paid the full fee (apparently).

What does the scubaboard hive mind think - should I tip even more than the $200 I already paid?

I'd have thrown him a few bucks or bought lunch/beers.

I was on the other side of this a few weeks ago and told my customer NOT to tip me -- but he did anyway.

Had same situation in FL once, where dive shop hired a non-employee guide for me whom I paid directly. I gave her a small (by US standards) tip. Canada?--I have no idea.

On your facts, I would absolutely tip.

100$ / day isn't a living wage. A recent article I read recently put that at around 21$/hr based on 8 hours. A living wage could be described as the income required to meet basic needs.

Granted this guide more than likely did this as a sideline or favour to the shop, I would say that at least an extra 20$-25$ a day wouldn't be misplaced. Given that you rate him as one of the 'most professional', and were very satisfied, I'd even consider a touch higher than that.

To me a gratuity is something that recognizes that extra special, and is not left behind just because is may be expected. I have service people do work on my house and I often tip, although not required or expected. When the roto-rooter drain guy unplugged my sewer line and left my basement spotless, I gave him a tip AND wrote his office an email telling them he was a real gentleman. As mentioned above, you noted him "most professional" and I'd say a couple of twenties would show you really mean those words. I'd even stick them in a card or you might consider a Starbucks gift card. There are a lot of ways to say thank you and show your appreciation.

Sounds like he more than earned your respect and your tip. The shop hired him, but they paid him only a portion of the fee you paid them. He is working as a contractor. Tip him what you feel is right or offer to buy him lunch. Should he be like Peter above and not want the tip, ask him to give it to his favorite charity like REEF, Project Aware, SUDS, etc.

However, the best tip you could possibly give him is to publicly praise him by NAME & where/how to find him, in your trip report, in all the social media sites you use. Word of mouth (now it's word of interwebz) is how good dive pros get more referrals/business. Then send him links so he can share "another happy customer/student/" on his own social media sites.

There are a bizzillion people living on a lot less than $43,680.00 per year.

Not in the Vancouver area there aren't. Those that get by in that area on that amount of money are not 'living', they are 'existing'.

Back
Top Bottom