Underwater Maps for Vancouver Area Shore Dive Sites?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Daryl Morse

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I just began diving this year. I'm starting to be able to figure my way around at Whytecliff Park, but I would be interested to see a map of the site to get a better perspective of where I am while I'm in the water.

Does anyone know where I can find underwater topographical maps of the Vancouver area dive sites such as Whytecliff Park, Porteau Cove and Ansell Point?

Thanks.

Daryl Morse:
Does anyone know where I can find underwater topographical maps of the Vancouver area dive sites such as Whytecliff Park, Porteau Cove and Ansell Point?

Check with Sewell's Marina in Horseshoe Bay. What you're after is a marine hydrographic chart (topographic maps are a land thing). The Canadian Hydrographic Service charts run around $25 - $30 per chart.

There will be 1:40,000 charts for those locations, but you might get lucky and find Whytecliffe included in a 1:20,000 or 1:15,000 sheet.

Being local, Sewell's might also know if there have been any special charting projects for those locations based on their recreational importance.

Failing that, the Yellow Pages under "Marine Equipment and Supplies" or "Maps". Being a coastal city, any serious map supplier will also stock CHS charts.

well, since every DMC has to do a mapping project, go check your local dive shops. Those are common dive sites and have been mapped by locals numerous times. They may not be spot on, but they generally cover the site fairly thoroughly, points of interest, depths, general info.

I've looked for the same thing but haven't had any success. You can get the marine hydrographic charts on Robson street at the Geological Survey of Canada but I don't think they're what you're looking for as they are intended for boater navigation. They don't include any underwater detail other than depths and reef locations. An entire dive would be less than half an inch long on a typical chart. I'm a new diver but a highly experienced mapper. If I can't find anything eventually I'll start making them myself.

I already have the CHS electronic charts for Whytecliff Park and Porteau Cove. (I work for a company that develops electronic navigation systems for ships.) I just took another look at them. Whytecliff is on a 1:12500 chart and Porteau Cove is on a 1:20000 chart so neither is very detailed. There are only a couple of soundings and a few contour lines for each since these areas are not normally navigated.

I was hoping to find something that shows where the more interesting bottom features are for divers.

Daryl Morse:
I already have the CHS electronic charts for Whytecliff Park and Porteau Cove. (I work for a company that develops electronic navigation systems for ships.)

Would that be Offshore Systems International?

jbm

Go to http://www.aquatic-realm.com/ they have a great map of Whytecliff and Gabriola passage. They mainly produce maps for the wrecks that have been placed about the province.

Back
Top Bottom