Diving in Malta?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SanzeKuhne

Reaction score
Currently located in Cambridge, as far from the se
Hey all, wanted to know if anyone could share some thoughts...
My fella and his best mate and girlfriend and I want to go diving next september, I'm a divemaster now, but they're only just going to be doing their OW and AOW.

Was wondering if anyone could share experiences of dive schools, accomodation etc? I want to make sure that they all manage to get good qualifications and don't want to be lured into staying with a "crap" dive centre.

I can heartfully recommend oxygene divers. They have centers all-over europe.

I went there for two weeks last summer and had some great dives with them. Make sure you dive the blue hole and the tunnel at the inland sea. they're spectacular.

[edit: PM me if you want more speciffic details]

Hi SanzeKuhne,

The diving on Malta ranges from the basic look at a cavern type to a massive amount of WWII wrecks and debris. The dive centres are really competitive and the quality you will get ranges from a man in the van to a full on centre that not only provides diving, but organising evenings out with other divers. Some centres are really just diver-churns and are only after your Lira. Select three or four centres and look at their sites, how the present themselves and whats they recommend for the divers in your range.

I assume you are looking to dive together? This is OK as 80% of the sites have different caves, reef that multi skilled divers can attack at different depths. Prices range, but there again you only really get what you pay for. As you are going to Malta, a day trip to Gozo is a must, the diving there is out of this world, the Blue Hole is a great dive and travelling to it from the boat allows you to miss the crowd who go from the shore

Pro Dive operates on the island from St Paul's Bay. Their are several new hotels in this area and I would be more than happy to recommend one if you drop me a email.

Hope this helps?

Hi Sanze i took my B.S.A.C. sport diver and dive leader courses with Maltaqua (www.maltaqua.com)in Bugibba/St.Pauls bay.As it's centrally located on the island you're no more than half hour max to any dive site,we made from the top to the bottom in 40 minutes,mind you it was hairy.Maltaqua very professional with classrooms good local knowledge and well organised by Agnes and Mike.They get pretty busy July time September should be perfect.I dived with a couple of other centres,Strand which wasn't too professional back then and Scubatech who were great but really small,both in the same area.Lots of apartments and cheap deals for accommodation around there also.If i can dig up a great web site with maps of all the wrecks and dive sites i'll post it for you.I've had 50 dives around the island so give me an idea of what you're looking for and i'll recommend some great dive sites.

Hi again Sanze here's this great web site of maps,www.chikarma.com , then click on chikarma website map , scroll down to Diving...diving guide.N.W. N.E. S.W. and S.E. will come up and just please yourself.

WOW thanks everyone for your advice, I'm gonna have a good look-around the websites recommended. I went with Pro-Dive in Townsville, Oz so I know they're good there.

We're not really looking for social night-life with everyone else, just us four chilling out together etc. Still sounds really good!

Buddies dive cove (5* idc) are a really friendly lot, cant say ive looked at the prices of the other shops, but they offer a pickup and dropoff service, and even though theyve moved away from where i stay im still going back to them to do my divemaster in may.

good luck wherever you go, and enjoy!

http://www.buddiesmalta.com/

edited - added website

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom