Marseille in early October

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ScubaGoran

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
I'm heading to RWC next week and will be in Marseille for the 1/4 finals on the Oct 6. I'm looking for any information on diving around that area.

Any Suggestions would be appreciated for equipment rentals, boat operations, conditions.

I'm an advance diver, mainly in cold water, low vis and fast currents, aka THE NW.

All what you have to know is here.

Don't worry about what Tomek says : he's Swiss and doesn't like the french diving federation.

The dive centers I know are FFESSM, not interresting for you, the best is to have a look on the net to look for PADI Dive centers around Marseille.

Usually, if there is no wind, the sea is very clear in October.
The temp can be 14]C if it's windy, like 22° in the other case ! Hope you will be lucky.

The french law says you must have a medical certification saying you're fit to dive. It's quite easy to see a doctor in France, the basic normal price is 22€ for a consultation.

if you're flexible as far as the location, a little west of Marseille there is a town called Carry le Rouet and a dive shop called Aqua-Evasion. It is a PADI ***** Dive Center. They are very nice people and are used to have divers not certified by the French FFESSM.

Hello,
Good idea to go diving in Marseille ! Unlike Frenchiegirl, I would not recommend going to Carry le Rouet, because, first the best dive sites are really close to Marseille and even rather on the east side (when Carry is at the west of Marseille), and also because I don't like much this diving center. I went there for several days and did not feel much welcomed. The boss was not friendly at all, and some of the dive guides seem to be fed up with their job !
In any case, I would recommend two centers in Marseille. I have not tried them myself but they have good reports from many divers, and both of them accept PADI divers.
They are Atoll Plongée and Archipel Plongée :

Centre de Plongée Atoll Club
Plongée Marseille - Accueil

I am sure they have someone who speak English....:blinking:
About the diving conditions, the visibility is usually good, or at least there are alwyays sites with good visibility. What could be troublesome is the Mistral (the local wind) which can make the sea very choppy and lowers the temperature of the air and the water.
Lastly, besides diving and watching rugby, be sure to taste a "Bouillabaisse" (a sort of fish soup) and go walking in the Calanque...
Hope you have a good time !
Malène

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom