Welcome to ScubaBoard, an online scuba diving forum community where you can join over 205,000 divers diving from around the world. If the topic is related to scuba diving, this is the place to find divers talking about it. To gain full access to ScubaBoard (and make this large box go away) you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Participate in over 500 dive topic forums and browse from over 5,500,000 posts.
  • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
  • Post your own photos or view from well over 100,000 user submitted images.
  • Gain access to our free classifieds marketplace to buy, sell and trade gear, travel and services.
  • Use the calendar to organize your events and enroll in other members' events.
  • Find a dive buddy or communicate directly with scuba equipment manufacturers.

All this and much more is available to you absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

NEW for 2014 Access SBlogbook for members. It allows you to directly upload data from your dive computer, validate your logs digitally, link your dives to photos, videos, dive centers (9,000 on file), fishes (14,000 on file) and much more.

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact the ScubaBoard Support Team.

Thread: Marseille in early October

Registered

Has not set a "status"

Marseille in early October

I'm heading to RWC next week and will be in Marseille for the 1/4 finals on the Oct 6. I'm looking for any information on diving around that area.

Any Suggestions would be appreciated for equipment rentals, boat operations, conditions.

I'm an advance diver, mainly in cold water, low vis and fast currents, aka THE NW.
    I dive therefore I am, Dizzy G.

Registered

wrecked...

Dives
    500 - 999
    Photos
    All what you have to know is here.

Don't worry about what Tomek says : he's Swiss and doesn't like the french diving federation.

The dive centers I know are FFESSM, not interresting for you, the best is to have a look on the net to look for PADI Dive centers around Marseille.

Usually, if there is no wind, the sea is very clear in October.
    The temp can be 14]C if it's windy, like 22° in the other case ! Hope you will be lucky.

The french law says you must have a medical certification saying you're fit to dive. It's quite easy to see a doctor in France, the basic normal price is 22€ for a consultation.

Registered

Has not set a "status"

Dives
    100 - 199
    if you're flexible as far as the location, a little west of Marseille there is a town called Carry le Rouet and a dive shop called Aqua-Evasion. It is a PADI ***** Dive Center. They are very nice people and are used to have divers not certified by the French FFESSM.

Registered

Lazy diver

Dives
    200 - 499
    Hello,
    Good idea to go diving in Marseille ! Unlike Frenchiegirl, I would not recommend going to Carry le Rouet, because, first the best dive sites are really close to Marseille and even rather on the east side (when Carry is at the west of Marseille), and also because I don't like much this diving center. I went there for several days and did not feel much welcomed. The boss was not friendly at all, and some of the dive guides seem to be fed up with their job !
    In any case, I would recommend two centers in Marseille. I have not tried them myself but they have good reports from many divers, and both of them accept PADI divers.
    They are Atoll Plongée and Archipel Plongée :

Centre de Plongée Atoll Club
    Plongée Marseille - Accueil

I am sure they have someone who speak English....
    About the diving conditions, the visibility is usually good, or at least there are alwyays sites with good visibility. What could be troublesome is the Mistral (the local wind) which can make the sea very choppy and lowers the temperature of the air and the water.
    Lastly, besides diving and watching rugby, be sure to taste a "Bouillabaisse" (a sort of fish soup) and go walking in the Calanque...
    Hope you have a good time !
    Malène