Scuba diving in Germany

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

surfacewatch

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
We're looking for some decent information on diving in Germany. Can anyone provide first hand experiences?

- Where are the main areas
- What kind of diving
- Whats the best time of year to dive
- what can you see diving in germany

Thanks
Claude

I lived in the Black Forest (Baden-Baden) area. Most of the time I was diving in lakes around the area or went to France (was only 30 Minutes away) where more lakes can be found.
The best time to dive is in spring and fall (in my opinion). Most of the lakes are busy in Summertime with swimmers and windsurfers.
The North Sea would be an option as well depends on the diving you do.
I would see if you can find a dive shop in your area where you live or their is two Magazines "Underwasser" and "Tauchen". Both are written in German but they have sometimes review of lakes in Germany. The last pages are usually addresses from Diveshops. There is also a website with Diveshops in different region of Germany Database: Dive Centers, Dive Boats, Dive Shops. Hope that helps.
What area you live in Germany?

I am German and I have been diving in Germany for more than twenty years.

As haeussf described, most diving in Germany takes part in small lakes and quarries. Usually the visibility is very bad. A visibility of 5m is "very good". Usually it is much worse and only very seldom it is better. Also the water temperture is quite cold, so even in summer many local divers prefer to use a dry suit.

For some better diving either you have to go to the far south or to the far north of Germany.
In the south there is Germanys biggest lake "Bodensee". It´s situated at the border between Germany, Austria and Switzerland. This is a very nice area in general. An d there are a lot of interesting divesites as well.
In the far north it is not the North Sea which is for diving. The German part of the North Sea is not a good place for diving. If you want to dive in the North Sea, better go the the Netherlands. It is very close by and there are a lot of interesting divesites.
The part in the north of Germany, which is realy interesting for divers is the Baltic Sea. In the Baltic Sea particullarly you will find a lot of wrecks, as well from the time of WW II as from different other periods.

If you have any particular questions, feel free to contact me.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom