Inexpensive Scuba Diving in France?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Neole

New
Reaction score
I will be in Paris in the beginning of May with some time to spare. I have a PADI Open Water certificate but will need an instructor around on the dives, plus all equipment.

Where can I find inexpensive PADI certified diving places in France? Maybe 2 days of 4 dives on some interesting locations.
Thanks,
Neole

Paris is not in an area where you can dive - I wouldn't recommend the rivers.

And as far as I understand they don't reconise PADI - you have to be CMAS certified to dive in France.

Sorry about the bad news.

Enjoy your stay in Paris there is plenty to do anyway :)

Paris is definitely not a good place to go diving.

PADI is more and more recognised, although FFESSM and CMAS eat the bigger part of the cake.

There is a 20 mts indoor tank somewhere in the Parisian outskirts, warm water and viewports, but it beats me if I remember exactly where it is.

Where in Europe would I find inexpensive diving then? Close to Netherlands/France as I will be there for some time.

It all depends on whereabouts you'll be staying.

France is a big country and there are about 400 kms from Paris to the Dutch coast, beautiful wrecks over there.

If you don't want to give public details, send me a private mail, who knows, we might even be able to go diving together!

I'm french and sorry to say that diving IS expensive here in France ...

You'll pay more if you go to a place where no one dives (i.e. Western and Northern France), so just go to Corsica. You can have really good diving there and, even if it's still expensive. It's worth it, not the cheapest one though.

Best places are: Porto Vecchio (La Pecorella, Le toro), Calvi ( B17) and Porto.

Enjoy !

Hi Dame Dykker,

I have dove with numerous ops along the southern coast of France over the past 4 years & my PADI card was accepted. Can't speak for other areas of the country.

Best regards.

DocVikingo

In October 2001, a formal agreement between the French Federation for Underwater Sport & Studies (FFESSM) and PADI was reached. Basically:

The present agreement allows the mutual recognition of the two organisations in order to facilitate freedom of access for all divers. With no intention to uniform their respective teaching philosophies, both organisations, although different in their objectives and genesis, wish to underline the demonstration of their efficiency in the protection of the participant's dearest belonging, his physical integrity. This process takes place in the respect of the French state's rules.

...Effective as of today, a total equivalency exists between the FFESSM Level 1 and the PADI Open Water Diver certifications, under the following conditions:

An FFESSM Level 1 diver may purchase a Level1 Recognition Card in any PADI Dive Center, admitting his certification is at least 6 month old and he can show proof of 4 open water dives. This Recognition Card carries both PADI and the FFESSM logos. No check out dive is required to obtain this card.

A PADI Open Water Diver who wants to dive with a Federation affiliated operator will have to hold a current FFESSM license and a current medical certificate. Under these prerequisites, an FFESSM Level 1 certification will be released to him, without a check out dive being required.

In both cases, at instructor's discretion, an adaptation dive may be requested, but shall never be a prerequisite to either card's release.

All the decisions made upon this agreement will also be submitted to the approval of the CMAS (World Confederation for Sub aquatic Activities).

The full article can be found at: PADI news

I based my post on a former thread where - I think - joerw metioned that he had have problems i France. This was also confirmed by by dive buddy who has friends in France (and is CMAS certified). But I'm glad to hear that has changed. Now remains to be seen when that is implemented in all the local clubs! Here where many clubs are CMAS, I know that sometimes they will force you to re-certify just because that's the why we do it here.

I know that the scepsis is based on "holliday divers" with a extreemly short Red Sea (typical) PADI OW who thinks they are fully quallified for a cold low vis dive.

On top of that off-course is the semi-religious issue of cert- type (ours vs. theirs).

But as I said: happy to learn even the French can change:)

Back
Top Bottom